Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Brian Visits Madison: Mint Mark & Comedy on State // Will Hoge with Lou Shields

Dress: Exploded Floral Maxi Dress from Plenty by Tracy Reese (size M) via Nuuly
Sandals: Fluevog, F-Trip: Bridget
Earring: Wendy Baker
Necklace: bel monili
Bracelets & Purse: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
I rented this gorgeous floral maxi (that looks like it was made out of bedsheets from the 70s) last summer & I needed to wear it again...this cotton dress is warm weather perfection in my favorite colors. As it's cotton, it wrinkles easily & poofs out a bit in front, just below the waist...cotton never behaves. No bra could be worn with this, but the adjustable ties hold you in place just fine. I could have bought it for just $80 ($250 new), but I enjoyed wearing it several times & sent it back. 
This dress is 2 sizes smaller than the one I rented last year...it was a great fit & didn't need to be as tight since I don't need as much chest support.
The purse & shoes are the same because they are ideal...my jewelry is different though. Pockets!
These Fluevog sandals were the right color & vibe...
I think I like my make-up & jewelry better this time around. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Zero, Clinique liquid liner in black, Ten & Candles eyeshadow from Lime Crime, UD lipstick in Bang, Clockwork lipstick by Sugarpill Cosmetics, & Essie nail polish in Sexy Plunge. 
I first wore this beauty when Brian came to visit us! He was worried we wouldn't want to go to Mint Mark again...but we hadn't been since he was here the previous month. Note: Brian is wearing my leopard belt. 
We like to get there shortly after 4 when they open...to secure a table outside, but food service doesn't start until 5...so, we have no choice but to enjoy cocktails & each others company. David had his favorite, Sangrita (Espero Blanco tequila, ginger, lime, orange, chili, mango; Brian had a Mint Mark Martini "EVOO" (olive-oil washed Four Pillars olive leaf gin, Italicus Rosalio di Bergamotto, Bravo Pretty vermouth, Zucca Rabarbaro, dill syrup, lemon), & I chose a new to me drink, The G.O.A.T. (MMSB Limousin rye, Lazzaroni amaretto, charred lemon cordial, strawberry shrub, Angostura bitters, lemon).
Second round...David, Rhubarb Tonic (Far North Anna's Garden gin, rhubarb, tonic, lemon, seltzer); Brian, Rotating Draft/ Strawberry Tea Spritz (strawberry gin, tea, other stuff); & for me, Sky Rocket (Banhez mezcal, passion fruit, savory herb, dijon, lime, lava salt). I think...I mean, I don't really remember exactly. 
When we were last here...the waitress brought our food so fast it filled me with anxiety...our server on this day, Heather, was every bit as good as our other favorite, Ruby. She made this amazing meal even more delightful. We began with...Kohlrabi (chicken jus, cherries, ricotta, hazelnut) & Biscuits (cultured butter, garlic honey). These biscuits are the ideal blend of sweet & savory. Brian licking the skillet says it all. They are *that* fantastic. 
Next up: Heirloom Tomato (sourdough, whipped beef fat, herbs), Tajarin (sungold sugo, pecorino, basil), & Cauliflower (Bagna Cauda, golden raisins, crispy cheese fines herbes) Me about to enjoy a Somewhere That's Green (El Tesoro Blanco tequila, heirloom Creme de Flora, grapefruit cordial, basil syrup, pink peppercorn tincture, lemon).
Hidden under those delectable chips...Tartare (Seven Seeds sirloin tip, dark cherry sofrito, Rainer cherries, pine nuts, horseradish, chips). And of course, I always have to have the Wisconsin Fish Fry (Hamms battered perch, tartar sauce, coleslaw, rye bread, fries). Anolini (basil, ricotta, heirloom tomato brodo, pecorino) & another favorite, the Cheeseburger (caramelized onion, cheddar, fancy sauce, pickles, fries). This fantastic menu is constantly changing with the seasons...you could come here every week & try something new. Just don't ever take the sex biscuits off the menu!
Their draft Nitro Espresso Martini is so exquisite, we each had to have our own (State Line vodka, Kin-Kin coffee liqueur, Nardini, Giffard orgeat, espresso, Regan's orange bitters). It's by far the finest espresso martini I've ever had. 
For dessert, Brian opted for another biscuit, while David & I shared a Skillet Cookie(rye chocolate chip, brown sugar bourbon ice cream, butterscotch). We always leave here happy & satisfied. 
On to our next stop...Comedy on State to see Kevin Bozeman. David bought us tickets...he never plans the things we do...but his credit card sent him a special offer & he watched a bit of Kevin's standup online & was immediately laughing. The only downside to this club is the 2 drink minimum...but the drinks are not very strong. David had an ice cream drink, Banana Split, while Brian & I opted for Long Island Slushies (mine in mango & Brian's in pomegranate). 
I think we all got some sort of ice cream drink for our second round after the show started. All 3 comedians were funny & we had a swell silly time. Brian & I used to come here often when he lived in Madison. The second time I wore this outfit...we stopped at my haberdashers studio to look through fabrics for her to make me a few sunhats. She didn't have any of the large brimmed ones for sale at Art Fair on the Square this year...so she offered to make me some. It was fun picking out pretty fabrics...although I wonder if she'd make me a hat out of material I brought her...something a bit more outrageous than she has on hand. 
Her workspace was well organized...I love seeing where artists create. After fabric selection...David & I drove on to Home Depot for paint, then to Karen Hanson's office for me to have testosterone pellets injected into my butt. I haven't had a period since January...so I wanted my hormone levels tested...my estrogen still looks good, but my testosterone is low...so we'll see how this effects me.
Back at home...Poshmark purchases awaited me...a Traffic People dress & Born sandals. I made us dinner...but didn't take any photos...who am I?! Then...off to Spring Green to see a show at the barn. Sipping fancy rosé while watching the opener, Lou Shields...which I'm fairly certain I've seen before. 
He reminded me of Charlie Parr & I was excited to discover he had vinyl for sale...which he signed for me. 
Then...Will Hoge, who I had never heard of before...but I trust the folks at Shitty Barn, so I listen to everyone they book before tickets go on sale. An already fabulous show made even better with a raging storm & power outage. All the guys grabbed acoustic guitars & kept playing. Owen, one of the barn owners, deposited a few lights around the band with catlike grace...then hit his head hard on one of the speakers...which I do at least a few times per season...they really ought to pad those things. It was a magical evening. Will played longer than he intended since we were all stuck there waiting out the storm...& he aptly closed with this cover...



No comments:

Post a Comment