Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Brian Visits Madison: Fairchild, Cardinal, & Caravan Gypsy Swing // JD McPherson at The Shitty Barn

Dress: Tiered Flutter-Sleeve Dress by Anthropologie (size M) via Nuuly
Sandals: Fluevog, Picnic: Kerry
Earring: Wendy Baker
Necklace: bel monili
Bracelets: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world...Kate thought I should have seen Barbie in this dress...& she's not wrong. Obviously there's more pink than red, but that makes it perfect to me. I simply adore colors together that aren't "supposed" to go with each other. Stellar fit on this light summer dress...it nearly seemed like cotton, but was too light for that...according to the site, it is viscose & polyamide...it was very breathable. Everything about this dress was ideal, with the exception of the low back...I had to keep playing with that area to make sure my underwear wasn't showing, it easily hid a bra though. I'd just wear different panties in the future...I loved the cutout back. 
Perhaps I should have purchased this? It came with the tags still attached & I had the ideal accessories. But there is always another pretty dress. Right?
Of all the dresses I've ever paired with these Kerry's...this one is the best. 
My first time wearing this necklace...again, like it was made for this...that's the great thing about renting...you'll eventually find a match for everything in your massive jewelry collection. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Zero, Clinique liquid liner in black, Love+ eyeshadow from Sugarpill Cosmetics, Natasha Denona eyeshadow in Monroe, UD lipliner in 714, No-Tell Motel lipstick by UD, & OPI nail polish in Art Walk in Suzi's Shoes. 
I first wore this dress to shop the Wednesday farmers' market on my way to work (I wonder what my clients think of their bright overdressed therapist?). And...for the rest of the Saturday Brian was here. I wanted to take him to Fairchild since they won James Beard Best Chef of the Midwest. Since there were no reservations available, I did what I typically do (since I'm a procrastinator)...showed up when they opened. Our hostess said our table had a reservation for 6...which gave us a leisurely 2 hours to enjoy ourselves. Against our better judgement, we began with cocktails (we had too many at Mint Mark the night before, plus the comedy club required 2). We had a Wayward Son (Hven Landskrona aquavit, Gentle Breeze honey, lemon, absinthe, black pepper) & a Shiso Lemondrop (Tito's vodka, Rishi yuzu peach, dry curaƧao). The majority of the menu had changed since David & I were last here, but this Maitake Tempura with lemon aioli was still available...the batter is so light & crispy...I am in love with these mushrooms. 
Next up...a few more starters...Seven Seeds Pork Trotter (fermented pea sorbet, Andrew Jack chili crisp, avocado) & Peterson Craftsman Beef Tartare (potato pave, Bleu Mont Dairy bandaged cheddar, Oscietra caviar, koji). After agonizing over my main course decision, I opted for Monkfish (summer squash 3 ways, including a fried blossom stuffed with shrimp; tomato jam; lemon)...because this just wasn't something I would make at home. It was delicious. My second cocktail was a Lazy Bird (rum, blueberry, lime, aperol, pastis).
Brian ordered the same dish David did last time, Pappardelle Bolognese (Peterson beef, Seven Seeds pork, veal, foie gras, nutmeg, cream). I thought we needed a few sides...Sai's Garden charred broccolini (Caesar dressing, Sarvecchio) & New Potatoes (roasted garlic, parsley). Brian's second drink: Night Whistler (bourbon, averna, pecan, cayenne, Smith & Cross pot still rum). 
After the dessert disaster last time...we decided to go ahead & order this since our server told us it was Chef Andrew's grandma's recipe...Door County Cherry Cobbler for Two with Pistachio Ice Cream...yum...so Wisconsin. After dinner...we headed over to The Cardinal Bar...which was an iconic nightclub for decades. They had just reopened with new owners, after being a soccer pub for a while, then empty. So nostalgic. I used to come here with Shane & Chad...& we lived just around the corner for 3-4 years...they really captured the spirit of the place. There were Latin dancing lessons taking place on the dance floor. 
Madison's Favorite Bar for Mature Adults 1987/88...the year before I moved to Madison. We sat at the bar (next to Bob Queen & his wife...he is responsible for bringing so much music to Madison) & enjoyed their craft cocktails...The Tease (Sweet Gwendoline French gin, Gran Mariner, amaro, topped with bubbly) & Amor Tropical (Flor de Cana 7 year rum, ginger brandy, pineapple juice, lime juice, freeze dried mango rim). 
We arrived at North Street Cabaret at door time & were told by the owner that we could reserve our table & go across the street to The Tip Top Tavern...I told him I'd never been given that option before...I liked it! We weren't exactly hungry, but ordered food anyway...sweet potato fries with jam & Chicken Burlesque (house battered fried chicken strips served with BBQ & Ranch). Typical bar food, nothing special...but we got to sit at a table outside, chat, & people watch. 
I'd seen Caravan before & was happy to be able to share the experience with Brian. They play gypsy swing/Django Reinhardt type jazz...& again, both Brian & I thought the guy on the left was cute...look at us having the same taste. They were fabulous...& since Opera in the Park had been rained out...their clarinet playing member was able to join them part way through. A wonderful night of music & company. 
The final time I wore this dress was on a Friday to get my teeth cleaned...& I came home to Fluevog sandals I wasn't aware existed...in my favorite family, Bellevue. Fannie Porter in Pink Rose & Beige (found on Fluemarket)...these also came in blue with a green outline, which are next on my list. It will be nice to have Fluevog sandals that don't have a 60s/70s retro vibe. For dinner I made us my go-to pan fried salmon with all the veggies we had in the fridge, roasted...eggplant, bell pepper, tomatoes, broccoli, kohlrabi, & garlic scapes...yum.  
Then it was off to the barn to see JD McPherson...this was one of the shows I was most looking forward to. And I did a stupid thing...I have so much anxiety around buying tickets for these shows...they sell out in minutes...I give a list to David & Kate & we all buy a few...I gave myself JD McPherson...& instead of getting a ticket to see him...I bought Joshua Hedley...twice. Ugh. I was so upset at myself...which is just silly, we all make mistakes...AND I stalked the ticket swap page until I found a ticket...so it all worked out. Yohei, a member of JD's band, opened. 
JD McPherson rocked the barn...it was one of my top 5 shows there. I was front row, center, just like I like...the only thing that could have made it better was dancing on my feet instead of in my chair. I was really looking forward to the encore so I could let loose & dance, but they didn't come back. It was still a ridiculously remarkable show. I get to see him again for a Christmas concert at Stoughton Opera House in December with Kate...I'm sure he'll do some non-holiday tunes too. I'm so delighted I was able to attend this show. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment