Wednesday, August 23, 2023

APT: The Royale // Sundara & Ishnala

Dress: Rose Garden Maxi Dress by Free People (size 10) via Nuuly
Sandals: Fluevog, Mega Munster: Deee
Purse: Mohop
Earring & Necklace: Wendy Baker
Bracelet: Vintage Remixed via Nashville Flea Market
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
The colors in this maxi are splendid...pretty ombre at the bottom. Great cut, however, what is up with the boob area?! Those lines hit me right across the nipple...who is that flattering for?! Also, the armholes are huge. Even with all that...I felt elegant in this gorgeous dress. I wore 4 1/2" heels & at 5'7", I had to wear at least a 3" heel for this drapey dress to stay off the ground. The dress is lined & has a side zipper that I felt was unnecessary...& a tie atop the opening in back. 
I didn't wear a bra with this dress because of the opening in back as well as the low-cut arm area. 
I like my big booty...
This is my first time wearing these Fluevog Deee sandals (a collaboration with Anna Sui)...& any shoe from the iconic Munster line (the original was made famous by Lady Miss Kier in the 1990 video for Groove Is in the Heart...also worn by Madonna in Truth or Dare in a different version)...which I've always thought wasn't really me. They are so cute & comfortable...I'm obsessed & want them in the closed toe gold glitter edition. 
I adore this Wendy grape themed necklace I've had forever...I'm sure the proportions are off now for my body...but I still enjoy bold...so I say it works. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Voodoo; Cyber Punk, Purple Dust, & Freak eyeshadow from UD; Violet Voss eyeshadow in Champagne; Grape lipliner by MAC; Dirty Little Secret lipliner in Pale Pink; Spiced Plum lipstick from Bite Beauty; & POP nail polish in This Is A Slick Up. 
Driving out to Spring Green...we passed this car in the parking lot of Gordon's Drive-In Restaurant in Mazomanie...David had to ask me 3 times if I wanted to pull over to take a look at it...it's a joke (is it a joke if it's true?) between us...he has to ask me every question 3 times...because it usually goes like this: no, no, yes. By the time I said yes, we had to turn around & go back. Totally worth it though...how cool is this car?! 
At APT on another pleasant evening...we have had great weather this summer. Notice David is also wearing purple & green...I love how he tries to coordinate with me. 
During the week...there are musicians playing on the theatre grounds...I'm not sure why they don't also have music on weekends...it's really charming. I made us a version of Kate's Taste the Rainbow Salad...with roasted veggies & chicken. It was delightfully delicious. I adore picnicking. 
Inside...The Royale...my hopes were not high for this play & it ended up being my favorite so far this summer...a wonderful surprise...so well acted & staged. We buy tickets to all the shows APT puts on...it's always worth the risk to find gems like this that we wouldn't have picked otherwise. 
I wore this dress a second time to spend the day at Sundara, a spa in the Wisconsin Dells. Well, I took it off as soon as we arrived & spent the day in my bathing suit and/or robe...but it covered me both before & after. I had booked 5 services for David, & 3 for me...I should have done more...next time. Like true only children...we prefer to spend the day by ourselves & not getting joint services done. I began with the Purifying Bath Ritual. 
Followed by my first service, an 80 minute Signature Body Polish & Massage...luxurious. My only complaint is that they ignore the area from just above my knees to my neck in front...& knees to waist in back. I'd love to have my stomach massaged & my butt exfoliated & massaged...my entire body really. After that...I meandered upstairs to the restaurant & had lunch...just missing David...he had a more jam packed day than I did with not much downtime between appointments. I ordered Ahi Tuna (Napa slaw, avocado, sriracha aioli, sesame crackers) & a Chicken Caesar Wrap (grilled chicken breast, romaine, shaved parmesan, creamy caesar dressing, spinach tortilla). After a relaxing meal...I scurried back downstairs...just in time for my Hops & Citrus Pedicure...though I declined the local ale that came with it...I'm just not a beer person. 
My toes freshly painted...I lounged in various areas inside & read in every pool...
I had been in the outside pools earlier...just admiring the forest view from the infinity pool & briefly walking around...but my hat could only protect me so much from the bright rays of the sun...but by mid-afternoon...I found a satisfyingly serene shady spot. Back inside lounging & eating an orange waiting for my final appointment of the day, Fountain of Youth Vitamin C Facial. This was by far my favorite, most relaxing, service. I fell asleep several times.  
Back in the locker room...this is what my hair looked like after having everyone rub my scalp all day long. My esthetician asked if I wanted deep extractions on the bumps on my forehead...so of course I said yes...I can't remember what those are...calcium deposits? She poked them with a needle & they stayed red for a few days. Shower time & a quick application of a little eye make-up...I couldn't quite bring myself to cover up my happy glowing clean face. A short drive down the road for dinner. 
Ishnala...I've wanted to come here for decades...& here we finally are. They were closed for the season when we spent the day at Sundara in February...it's the ideal dinner destination after a day at the spa...mostly because it's probably the only non-chain restaurant in The Dells. This place is stuck in the 50s, which is both a good & a bad thing. The good, it was charming & reminded me of the places we used to go to with my paternal grandparents...they would have loved it here...so it was nostalgic for me. The bad, cultural appropriation. 
The supper club is located back in the woods on Mirror Lake...it's a beautiful area. There was a 2 hour wait (even on a Thursday, totally normal), but they have 5 bars throughout the property & it goes quickly. We started off in the Pow Wow Bar as it seemed the least busy & overlooked the pretty lake. David ordered a Chocolatini & I had to try their Brandy Old-Fashioned (the classic supper club drink), typically I get it sweet, but the bartender gave me an option I hadn't heard of before, so of course I had to try it...press. Sweet is made with 7-up, sour is with Squirt, & press is half 7-up/half soda water. 
We also got some appetizers... Wisconsin Cheese Curds with Ranch dressing (can't get more midwest than that) & Escargot Bourguignonne...it's all about the delectable garlic butter, for which they gave us a warm crusty sourdough to soak it all up. David with his Tipsy Canoe (Rumhaven coconut rum, New Amsterdam pineapple vodka with fresh squeezed lime juice & sour mix).
After eating some food, we took a walk through the grounds...
And played this impossible game where you are supposed to be able to throw the ring over the hook on the board...& the first person to 21 wins. We both tried several dozen times with no luck at all. 
That's a lot of Old Fashioneds in under 4 months. If you look closely...you can see the singer playing his guitar outside through the door between the dead animals. I enjoyed listening to him while we were wandering outside...but Frank Sinatra took over whenever we got close to the parking lot. 
Back in the main building, we tried a different bar so we'd be close to the hostess station when our buzzer went off. David got another snack...Totem Pole Bloody Mary piled high with a little of everything. I enjoyed his Tipsy Canoe so much, I ordered one of my own. 
Buzzzzzz...it was finally our turn for a table. We were seated with a view of the lake & the setting sun. There was a cheese ball & packaged bread sticks at our table! What a throwback...I used to love those as a kid, especially the ones with sesame seeds. We also got a bread basket with our salad...I asked for a Caesar with anchovies, yum...& there were cinnamon rolls hidden under the dinner rolls. 
Main courses...David got a Filet Mignon, rare, with a side of sweet potatoes & mushrooms...while I enjoyed Roast Wisconsin Duck (oven roasted with a sage dressing & served with an orange cognac sauce & Wollersheim brandy cherry sauce) with a side of au gratin potatoes. And a Moscow Mule to end the evening. This is such an unusual experience...like traveling back in time...it's a destination worth taking in at least once...The Mack Daddy of Supper Clubs. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment