Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Brian Visits Madison: Nitro Coffee // Taste of Madison // Sal's on Livingston

Dress: Tiered Off-The-Shoulder Maxi Dress by Erika Pena (size L/XL) via Nuuly
Sandals: Earth Spirit
Purse & All Jewelry: Vintage
Photography: Super Boo, Brian, & Me
Stats: 5'7" 39-37-48
I rented this because I loved the cinnamon spice color...I mean, how good is it with my hair?! In person, I worried that this plain cotton dress was too boring...but I think I made it shine. It's alright if everything isn't a pattern. This dress runs big & there is a LOT of fabric...but I'm extra like that...ideal length for me. There were pockets, a lining, you could wear this maxi on or off the shoulder, belt optional (but I think it needed it for giving it a shape), & light weight. 
I think I bought this vintage purse at a garage sale with the intent of painting it & adding fake flowers (something I did to a purse in high school), but I was happy I never got around to it. 
Matching necklace & bracelet (that I don't wear often) with a similar style earring that I've had since high school.
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Lucky & Bourbon; Blaze, Accelerate, & Ignite eyeshadow from UD; MAC lipliner in Chicory; Gothica lipstick by Kat von D; & OPI nail polish in Talk Of The Town Brown. 
I first wore this frock (I considered these shoes, but ultimately went with the ones in the outfit photos) for a consultation with Bear for my next tattoo from them. They are going to create something fantastic for the area on the front of my left leg that is empty. I am excited to see what they come up with. Before wearing this jewelry...I used Rub 'n Buff in Antique Gold to spruce it up as the silver metal was peeking through a tad. 
I wore this outfit all day Sunday while Brian was visiting. We started out the day at Collectivo for some coffee & people watching. And I tried my first ever nitro coffee...life changer! I don't know what took me so long...too trendy, I guess...but trendy for a reason...like pumpkin spice. It's cold brewed coffee infused with nitrogen gas with a pressurized valve...it makes it bubbly & velvety...a bit like beer...& doesn't really need anything added. 
Sitting on the square watching Forward Marching Band pass by. There was some good people watching as the second day of Taste of Madison was starting in an hour...which I'm pretty sure I haven't gone to since the 90s...but it seemed like a fun thing to do. The first place that caught my eye had frog legs...I've been a fan since I was a little girl. My grandma used to take me to fancy restaurants in the 70s & it's what we nearly always ordered. 
There were 2 beer booths on every block & it amused me that most of them were run by high school students raising money for their various sport teams. Me attempting to selfie us with the capitol...didn't really work out, but you get the idea. 
Our first stop was to try these Chicken Coxinha from Tucumã...fried dough filled with chicken & cream cheese...street food from Brazil. And I couldn't say no to Mac n Cheese.
Then I got my frog legs (Brian didn't want anything to do with them...mine, all mine)...& some Indian food...samosas & Chicken Tikka Masala...& onto Jamaican Jerk Chicken. 
And finally, Brian got a carrot bundt cake for a sweet ending. The food was good, not great...exactly how I remembered it. Back to the house to get Kyra & a much needed people walk. 
Later, for dinner...Salvatore's again, this time...Sal's on Livingston, which is my favorite location. I was SO excited I got to try this blueberry cocktail! They had posted earlier in the week that one of their employees brought them a box she had picked in Michigan...AND, she was our waitress. Blueberry Collins (Stateline gin, Michigan blueberry syrup, lemon, soda). Brian had a Sal's Spritzer (Death's Door gin, Thatcher's blood orange liqueur, Aperol, lemon, simple syrup, sparkling wine). And we started our meal with Roasted Sweet Corn (Green Barn Farm sweet corn, Calabrese chili butter, Roelli Red Rock cave-aged cheddar, garlic ash salt, parsley)...my only corn of the season...it was delicious. And our meal came with a pair of 10 week old Boxer puppies...ALL the cute...I squeed when I spied them. 
More food...Caesar Salad (Romaine heart, Madison Sourdough brioche crouton, roasted heirloom cherry tomato, poached egg, Sarvecchio, Caesar dressing, dill)...their version of the Caesar is much different than their Sun Prairie location...& they are both delightful.  Bolognese (house made pappardelle, Wells Farm beef & pork ragù, pancetta, Satori Sarvecchio, basil). Lasagne Rotolo (Vitruvian Farms baby spinach, vegetable ragù, whole milk mozzarella, ricotta, besciamella, tomato & basil sauce, Pecorino Romano). Both of these pasta dishes were fabulous...I would have never picked the lasagne on my own, but it was spectacular. Adorable puppies...the guy isn't so bad either. And one more cocktail...Watermelon Poblano Marg for Brian (house-infused poblano Lunazul tequila, orange liqueur, watermelon syrup, lime). And I chose a Blackberry Gimlet (house-infused blackberry Wheatley vodka, lime, simple syrup). Also, thanks to Brian's sweet tooth...we had Vegan Chocolate Beet Cake (chocolate ganache, Door County cherries, candied almond)...I didn't know this was vegan when I was eating it...I don't even like chocolate cake that much...this was to die for! And Budino (caramel, smoked salt, whipped cream)...which was the same as their other location, but without the shortbread cookies. Our Michigan blueberry waitress offered to take our photo...she was so sweet. After dinner...we wanted to have another cocktail & we were hoping for Lucille's since there had been a several hour wait for a table for dinner...no luck...so we went to Woof's on Brian's request. I was a bit crabby about it because it's either beer, crappy mixed drink, or a White Claw...what happened to gay men with good taste? So I just people watched.And finally...they let us sit outside at Lucille's...if we ordered our drinks inside. I got my favorite, El Diablo (Milagro Reposado, raspberry syrup, lime juice, ginger beer) & for Brian, Pink Chimneys (Tito's vodka, Campari, blackberry, rosemary, lemon & lime juices, orange bitters, Jamaican #2 bitters, sparkling water). What a long lovely day with my wonderful friend. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment