Monday, July 18, 2022

Chicago: Seagull // Fluevog // Boka // Mike Birbiglia

Dress: Tiered Halter Maxi Dress by Anthropologie (size 1x) via Nuuly
Sandals: Born
Earring: Kerala Rose
Bracelet: Vintage
Photography: Super Boo & Me
Stats: 5'7" 41-39-53
I felt pretty in this dress, even though it wasn't a perfect fit. The purples & rust were good colors for me, the length was the ideal maxi length, & I adored the double straps. The negatives: the dress was too big on me, so it didn't have much waist definition...I think it was meant to be a more blouson top anyway; there was way too much skin showing on the sides (all the way down to the waist), so there was no way to wear a bra without it showing; & the outer straps were loose without an option to shorten them. 
I attached my bra in back so it was a halter shape because I thought they looked better that way. Also, I know my bra is hanging out all over & looks sloppy, but I loved how light & airy this dress felt on. I could have worn a camisole, but I didn't want to cover any more skin up. My dream? To be able to go braless in the summer. 
All the comely colors up close...
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Lucky & Roach; Blaze, Wildheart, & Ignite eyeshadow from UD; Grape eyeliner by MAC; Sugarpill Cosmetics lipstick in Locket; & OPI nail polish in A Woman's Prague-ative. 
I wore this dress to spend a fun day in Chicago with David for a brief trip. First, we checked into Kate's hotel (she found it years ago), which was bought out during the pandemic...so it's no longer Hotel Allegro, but The Allegro Royal Sonesta Hotel. It's still a beautiful old building...the only thing I noticed that changed was they used to have these pretty paper cups for their free coffee that were black with a Deco design on them, along with Louise Brooks...now they are boring white. 
The hotel let us check in early...so we dropped off our stuff & headed on over to Steppenwolf Theatre to see a matinee performance of Chekhov's Seagull. It is unfortunate that I don't have a better memory...Kate informed me this was the only play she'd ever walked out of at APT...I looked it up & David & I had seen it too, but had no memory of it. Lovely theatre, terrible play AND acting...we left at intermission & it was painful to have to stay that long. However, this gave us time to check out the Fluevog store...which we otherwise wouldn't have been able to. 
Cuties & stunning shoes.
These Marcellos need to be mine someday...I hope I don't wait too long. Fluevog is staffed by the nicest friendliest people...always so helpful...bringing us box after box of shoes to try on...it really changed our mood after the terrible experience of the play. David was enchanted by these green Nathaniels...& wow, are they amazing in person. I ended up with some sandals...because Fluevog so rarely offers sandals that I like...no photo, but they are orange & yellow Bridgets. David wanted me to have them, so he paid full price...something I've never done with Fluevogs...I wait until there's a sale. David wore his new shoes out of the store (later, when he paused to tie his shoe...a woman walking by remarked to her husband, those are the most stylish shoes I've ever seen in my life). Next up, we had reservations at Boka. We drove around the neighborhood looking for parking & were excited to finally find a spot...only to discover it was permit only. As we were getting back in the car to move it, a woman came over & handed us a ticket to put in our window (she lived there & it was a special guest pass)...she said I looked so pretty & dressed up that she wanted to help. Awwwww...how sweet is that?!
Inside beautiful Boka...I adored the wall of antique door knob backplates...but it was the moss covered wall surrounding anthropomorphic animal pictures that made this restaurant stand out to me (aside from the delicious sounding menu). My first drink off of their outstanding cocktail menu (& my favorite, so I had 2), Ophelia in Furs (Chicago Distilling Co ceres vodka, aquavit, rosemary, ginger). David chose an Unforced Error (Espolón blanco, yellow chartreuse, pear, almond). We opted to get the 8 course tasting menu (with a few extras off the menu that we needed to try). The evening began with Hokkaido Scallop (buttermilk, grapefruit kosho, dill), followed by Foie Gras Toast (rhubarb, rose, brioche), bread with fennel pollen butter (obsessed...it was glorious), & Lightly Cured Tuna (turnip, horseradish, perilla).
David's favorite cocktail of the night (he also had 2), Hemingway Daiquiri (Hampden Estate rum, Luxardo maraschino, grapefruit, lime, bay leaf)...my second round, Naked & Famous (Fidencio Classico Joven, aperol, yellow chartreuse, lime)...I had to switch seats so the wonderful wall was behind me.Next up,  French White Asparagus (buckwheat, sorrel, cured egg yolk) & Slow Cooked Halibut (kohlrabi, cauliflower, seaweed). The food was gorgeous & delectable...we declared each new dish our favorite. David with a Clubhouse Turn (Old Overholt rye, Manzanilla sherry, chamomile, grapefruit)...& me sipping on A Moveable Feast (they accidentally made this for me twice, so I drank both...what's a girl to do?! [white rum, Clairin le Rocher, thai lime, pineapple]). Dry Aged Rohan Duck appeared on our table next (leek, strawberry, salted peppercorn), along with Roasted Colorado Lamb (artichoke, gem lettuce, vadouvan). Artistic produce art in the bathroom hallway by the kitchen. And my final libation of the night, another Ophelia in Furs (3 drinks is my limit...5 was too many...but they were all SO good). Our Bacchanalian feast continued with the 3 items we ordered off the regular menu, Seared Foie Gras (quince, shallots, black sesame); followed by the dish I was most excited to try, Grilled Spanish Octopus (smoked cauliflower, hazelnut, cucumber); & finally, the declared winner of best plate (they were all contenders), Dry Aged Beef Tartare (beech mushrooms, sorrel, horseradish). Did we actually have room for the 2 desserts from the tasting menu?! But somehow, we managed. Japanese Cheesecake (coconut, winter citrus), & finally...Chocolate (pistachio, malted milk, dark chocolate, lemon). And just so we didn't forget them the next day...they sent us home with a bag of treats. I was wondering how we'd kill the time between dinner & our show...I needn't have worried...this dinner took more than 3 hours. A short walk down the block to see Mike Birbiglia, back at Steppenwolf in a different theatre.  He was doing a one month Chicago run of performing his new one-man show, The Old Man and The Pool. David was in the front row, & I was directly behind him in the second row...I bought tickets a few weeks back. He puts on a great show...no pictures allowed, but I snapped this one as he was saying goodnight. After the show, we headed over to Au Cheval (how could we possibly eat more food?!)...according to many people, they have the best burger in town. We got there just after 10 & the host told us their waitlist for the night exceeded their hours of business & that the parties currently being seated had been there since 7 (no reservations). He recommended walking down the block to Green Street Smoked Meats...they were sold out of most things, but what we ordered was tasty. I had a Frito Pie & potato salad, while David chomped on pulled pork & beef brisket. This was a lovely day & it was nice to relive it through this post. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment