Friday, March 17, 2023

Valentine's Day // Milwaukee: Thrifting, Antiquing, Amilinda, There is a Happiness That Morning Is

Dress: Valentina Maxi Dress by Hutch (size L) via Nuuly
Tights: ?
Shoes: Fluevog, Queen Transcendent: Elizabeth 
All Jewelry & Purse: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
Hubba Hubba...I felt sexy in this maxi with a lot of leg showing...it wasn't a slit though, it was a shorter layer & I liked it. Everything about this dress was pretty & ultra feminine...I was especially fond of the sleeves...the small poof at the shoulder, ending in a ruffle at the wrist...which hid my bracelet most of the time, but I didn't want to push them up...I like the drama of a long sleeve in winter. This fabric is light enough to wear all year long, but to me, it was the perfect Valentine's Day/February dress. I had to pin the neckline closed & wearing heels was necessary because of the length...but this dress needs them anyway. 
I am always thrilled when we are going downtown for dinner or a play so I can use our gorgeous capitol as a backdrop...I only wish the lighting were better inside. 
These were my dream shoes & I finally found them used a few years back...but even though I went up a full size (10 instead of 9), these run small. I was able to stretch them, & now they not only fit, but are super comfortable...& just look at them...that heel *swoon* I would also like them in burgundy, black, & purple. 
Pulling out the green in this gown...vintage Miriam Haskell necklace & earrings...she's my favorite. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Zero; Natasha Denona eyeshadow in Lifetime, Giving, Passion, & Heart; UD lipliner in 714; Santa Sangre lipstick by Kat von D; In Retrograde lipstick from MAC; & OPI nail polish in I'm Not Really A Waitress. 
I love this vintage beaded purse we found at Elkhorn...I use it a lot. 
I first wore this dress on Valentine's Day...to work, then out to dinner with David. 
David doesn't get enough outfit photos...wearing his Fluevogs we got last spring at the Chicago store & one of the belts he bought at last year's Art Fair on the Square. 
Attempting cuteness. David & I aren't so much into the holiday, but it's the day we first met...& this year marked our 20th anniversary. 
We were downtown early to take photos while it was still light out, so we stopped into Lucille for cocktails & nibbles. I ordered A Strong Appeel (Zacapa, OFTD, papaya, banana, curry spice, lemon, white chocolate)...sounds weird, right?! It was delicious...they are so creative with their drinks there (& next door at their sister restaurant, Merchant). David chose a Spice Spice Bebé (chili infused Banhez, cocoa nib infused Pierre Ferrand curaçao, Salers aperitif). We noshed on Pork Belly Lettuce Wraps (Pritzlaff Farms' pork belly with hazelnut mole, salsa roja, fried plantains, pickled vegetables). Then we discovered they had a special Valentine cocktail menu...& we couldn't resist. I drank a Forbidden Love (St. Elder elderflower liqueur, strawberry, lavender, Los Monteros cava, mint).
Pork Shoulder Nachos, yummmm. And David sipping a Black Rose (bourbon, Nux Alpina nocino, cocoa bitters, orange expression). Then we headed over to Heritage Tavern for dinner. 
We picked 2 things from each course & shared them.

The oysters were good, but I ordered their Valentine's Day cocktail...& it was so terrible, David sent it back. Once upon a time, Heritage was our favorite restaurant. We had to officially break up after this meal. It was just so average. I cook a lot at home...& I'm good at it. Chefs should be better at this than I am...surprise & delight me. Service was slow, the risotto was cold...I wouldn't have cared about any of that had the food been delicious. It just wasn't. The short ribs were the best thing we had all evening. We were so disappointed...we had been looking forward to celebrating 20 years with a special meal & it really ruined our night. I typically make the reservations, but David made them in person while we were dining there the month before...so he got a prompt from Resy to rate our experience...so he did. He received a call from Chef Fox & he sent us a gift certificate. While both of those things were nice gestures...it doesn't change the several disappointing meals we've had there in the last few years. Back at home...David had some stacks of memories to share with me...including these photos of him as a sexy young thing. The very first photo taken of us...I'm guessing April 2003, based on the spring-like leaves just popping on the bush behind us. This time we spent at the dining room table was by far my favorite part of the day.The second time I wore this dress...with different accessories & shiny Docs...was on a spontaneous trip to Milwaukee. We'd had a bit of a snowstorm on a Wednesday, which led to David's Thursday flight to California being rescheduled to Saturday. So we had Thursday to ourselves to do anything we wanted...so off we adventured. First stop, Solly's...a nearly 90 year old restaurant famous for their butter burgers.It was adorable inside...out of a scene from a roadtrip movie. I had to try their cheese curds...they were passable. There were SO many choices...but I went with a Sassy Burger (1/3 lb. sirloin, applewood smoked bacon, mushrooms, Solly's stewed onions, Solly's Sassy Sauce, Wisconsin smoked gouda, local baked pretzel bun, served with golden crinkle cut fries). David opted for a Patty Melt (1/3 lb. sirloin, caramelized onions, on buttery grilled seeded rye) with a side of onion rings. And because he was still hungry...a Super Super Bacon Cheeseburger (2 1/3 lb sirloin patties, applewood smoked bacon, double melted American cheese, Brioche bun)...he skipped the fries with this because we'd already had enough. This was super greasy diner food & it was great for what it was. I probably wouldn't go back, but I'd recommend trying this piece of history at least once. After lunch...we were off to our new favorite place, Retique. I spied this sequined-encrusted dress with velvet accents...$100 though?! It was only a size 6, but I took it into the dressing room anyway. Lots of trying on of dresses...some fit, some didn't make it past my boobs or hips. The pink tagged items were half off that week...so I got this blue velvet dress for only $6.50...I threw away the silver belt.David didn't get it...but I totally loved this moon phases dress AND the b&w covered in skulls...I passed on the blue one, too boring. And finally...the sequin covered dress that screams...I'm a socialite hosting a fundraiser for dogs...or the library...which would totally be my 2 causes. It was a bit tight in the thigh area...but everything is & I get the operation to fix that next month. I probably would have left it there for someone else...but David really liked it & since it was still his birthday month, we got 25% off. I left this blue one behind too...the pattern was wonderful, but the fabric was strangely cheap & slippery. This store is full of fabulousness & even though we'd just been a few weeks prior, the inventory seemed mostly new. I love these details on old buildings...some street art as we were driving to Vinny's...one of the worst ones I've ever been to...I wouldn't go back. Then...on to Antiques on Pierce...which is so completely overwhelmingly full of spectacular things...you can never see it all. Our first discovery of the day was this hanging light for the wreck room...that shade! These nude women glasses & decanter stayed there, but wow...marvelous to look at. I didn't really need another mink wrap, but...it's different than my other one & I seem to be collecting coats. I mean, I do live in Wisconsin & it's been wonderful to have pretty outerwear to cover myself in. I saw this fruit mirror the last time we were there, but then I got distracted & forgot to show David...it is perfect in our kitchen. Mirrors we immediately hung up. We are out of wall space upstairs. We kept looking at this light for the wreck room...& we both liked it a lot, but the jewels didn't seem quite right...so, we had to nope it. Sparkly jewels for me...& glassware for serving sorbet in for David (we found those at Vinny's...under $1 a piece). And finally, this gold ornate mirror is stored until the wreck room is ready for it. I've really been wanting to try Amilinda, but it was booked the last time we were in Milwaukee...this time, because it was Thursday & maybe because of weather...we were able to score a table. It lived up to its reputation & the chef is certainly deserving of his second time semi-finalist this year as James Beard best chef of the midwest. We began with cocktails...for David, The Regal Shake (Plantation rum, Turbi simple syrup, lime, grapefruit), while I had the Menorca Mule (ginger vodka, white port, ginger beer, & lime). And for starters, we shared...Caldo Verde (a Portuguese soup) & Mussels cooked in garlic & wine.Our entrees...David went with Pork Alentejana (parsnip puree, kale, Manila clams) & I had the Trout (fennel, aioli, cipollini onions, cherry tomatoes, leeks). Our meal was outstanding. I'm always excited about restaurants that use what's in season, especially in Wisconsin in winter...that's not easy. Second round of drinks...a Brawny Fashion for Super Boo (VD Sousa tawny port, bourbon, orange bitters, soda) & I sipped on a Palabra Ultima (gin, Luxardo, Tunel liqueur, lime). Such a tiny little kitchen. As I was waiting for David to pay the check...the chef, Gregory Leon, asked me how we liked our meal. I was pleased to be able to tell him how delighted we were. Months ago I was checking out the theatre season in Milwaukee & I thought this play sounded interesting, There is a Happiness That Morning Is, then it fell off my radar...but there happened to be a preview to opening night...so we skipped dessert at Amilinda & headed over to take our chances getting in. What a treat...it was fantastic! Retique clothing...This Karen Kane top was only $5 (plus David's 25% birthday discount)!


No comments:

Post a Comment