Thursday, April 20, 2023

Milwaukee: Seven Guitars

Dress: Violetta Wrap Dress by Hutch (size M) via Nuuly
Shoes: Fluevog, Bellevue: Laura Evans 
Earrings & Necklace: Green Goddess Vintage
Bracelet & Pin: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
This dress was a dream...I mean...just look at it. I lost track of the complements I received. It was perfect in every way, with the exception of being tight up top...so much so that I had to pin it so it would stay closed...& then the lining rolled out a bit around the neckline. But really...it was so stunning that it didn't matter...but did keep me from buying it. It was confusing as I'm a small up top & a medium to large below...so I'm not used to tops not fitting. 
Maybe I should have bought this dress? I struggle with this...buying the things I love from Nuuly. I mean...I already wore this dress...how often will I wear it again? I think I'm the kind of person who only wears & styles something...one & done? There are always going to be pretty dresses out there & what is the point of owning them all? Maybe my closet just needs to have more shoe space & less clothing?
Bellevue is my favorite family...the heels are sexily curvy & at 2 1/2"...I could walk in them all over town...I certainly did on this day.  This was my first time wearing this beauty from Gayle at Green Goddess Vintage...& I even wore the matching earrings she sends along with each necklace. The pin keeping the neckline decent is also a first time wear...purchased at an antique store on a previous Milwaukee excursion. My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Asphyxia & Psychedelic Sister; Blaze, Wildheart, & Breakaway eyeshadow from UD; MAC lipliner in Grape; Spiced Plum lipstick by Bite Beauty; & OPI nail polish in Louvre Me Louvre Me Not. 
I wore this fabulous frock to spend the day in Milwaukee with David. First up...we checked out the Milwaukee Public Market for the first time. 

I was curious about St. Paul Fish Co, which kept coming up in searches for good restaurants...so that is where we went for lunch. I love raw oysters with just a hint of lemon...no sauces though...I like to taste the sea. 
We ended up with fried food overload...everything just sounded so good. The crab cake was our least favorite & we wouldn't order it again. We also got buffalo grouper cheeks, fried calamari, & fried clams...all of it was good, but we especially enjoyed the clams. 
I was delighted to discover that St. Paul Fish Co is also a seafood market...they had an impressive selection. Next time, we'll bring a cooler bag & bring some stuff home. We sampled the pastrami cold smoked salmon...yummmmm. 
We shared a flourless peanut butter cookie from another vendor & then went upstairs to find a bathroom. This is a relatively small market considering the size of Milwaukee...but it was really nice. I'm excited to see what they do with the Madison Public Market they are currently constructing. 
This Mystic Latte was heavenly...licorice root & basil?! YUM...too bad it was a March special. This rusted metal shelf we saw while walking to Retique caught our eye. I was all trussed up in this dress & didn't want to go through that again...so I didn't actually try anything on...I just went into the dressing room & held things up & stretched them over my body. 
I spied this green sequined sweatshirt...& even though it's silly...I totally got it & will wear it around the house. Every day is another reason to be fancy. The weather was nice enough that we decided to walk around the Historic Third Ward that we enjoy visiting so much. We popped into Access Boutique...even though I didn't think an accessory shop was going to be for me...& we left with 2 purses...the best thing about our next stop was the greenery selfie wall.
We enjoyed looking at books & this adorable octopus at MOD GEN...& we both adored these rusty orange metal drawers. 
At Shōō we had fun looking around...& I really liked the gold effect they added to this vintage leather jacket. On the other half of the shop, they offer custom made suits. Pants I would buy at Anthropologie...I will someday have a plaid pant collection.Lela's was an incredibly fun women's clothing store that sells designer clothing alongside used & vintage finds. I was immediately drawn to this trench coat...& it had matching pants! But, wait...they aren't even plaid...we bought them anyway. We had very little time left before our dinner reservation...but there was an antique complex in the neighborhood that we'd never been to. One old building with several shops...it was a disaster...none of them were worth visiting...so it turned out...not having much time was more than enough.Dinner at Saffron...not only was this the best Indian food I've ever had...but the cocktails were outstanding. Starting drinks...Goan Mai Tai (cashew curry orgeat, Trois Rivieres Blanc, Plantation dark rum, Clement Creole shrub, Bittercube orange bitters) & Cardamom Mezcal (cardamom infused Bahnez mezcal, carrot, maple, lime, Bittercube blackstrap bitters). For appetizers we shared these adorable samosas...there was a variety of stuffings & sizes...We also ordered Crispy Cauliflower (spiced cauliflower, signature  sauce, ginger & garlic emulsion)...this was especially spectacular & Tandoori Chicken Croquettes (minced tandoori chicken, sour cream, smoked tomato coconut infused sauce). My second cocktail came with a show...Elderflower Blossom (white blossom Valentine vodka, St. Germain, grapefruit, lemon, grapefruit aroma). David sipped on a Mumbai Sour  (Capel Pisco, green mango, citrus aquabfaba). For his main, David chose Smoked Tandoori Lamb Chops...which was the only thing all evening that we wouldn't order again. The flavor was excellent, but the texture was weird because they sous vided them before putting them in the tandoor & neither of us enjoys that method of cooking. I wish they had included that information on the menu. I decided on their namesake dish, Saffron Butter Chicken (smoked chicken, signature red pepper & tomato sauce, fenugreek)...this was by far the finest version of this dish I've ever eaten...the chicken was tender & the sauce was perfectly balanced. David's final cocktail came with a bit of extra flair...Ablaze Agave (Libelula tequila, Bahnez mezcal, Aperol, pinapple, falernum) & I had a Chaitini (chai infused vodka, Rishi Masala chai, Twisted Path chai, oat milk, Bittercube blackstrap bitters). There was a table near us celebrating a birthday...they got extra fire. Our overall experience was immensely satisfying & we would come back & order every single thing again, with the exception of the lamb. After our glorious dinner...we had to rush off to the theatre to see August Wilson's Seven Guitars (David couldn't find parking & was 5 minutes late...luckily, they hadn't yet begun). The Milwaukee Rep committed to doing his series of 10 plays, collectively called The Pittsburgh Cycle...unfortunately (for us), this was #8...so I'm hoping the final 2 are ones we haven't seen. I could look it up...but I'd rather be surprised. I'm trying to keep a better eye on what's going on in the Milwaukee theatre world because everything we've seen there has been outstanding...this play included. Unbagging my clothing from our trip & finally trying it on...some of those dresses are *short*.These shoes from Christian Siriano for Payless are the flats version of the heels we found at Vinny's in Sun Prairie a short while ago...that gold & black brocade is lovely & I'm happy to have both pairs. That mustard purse is cute...but in the future I need to make sure my phone, with case, fits...or it's basically useless. These Jeffrey Campbell orange & yellow shoes came in the mail the day we were in Milwaukee...sooo cute. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment