Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Film Fest // Chicago: The Palmer House, Fluevog, Catch 35, The Magic Parlour

Jumpsuit: Wide-Leg Jumpsuit by Hutch (size M) via Nuuly
Shoes: Chie Mihara, thrifted
Earring: etXarte
Bracelet & Purse: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
I loved this jumpsuit SO much...I should have bought it. The fit wasn't quite right though...really long in the crotch...perhaps a size down would fix that? There is a pregnant woman modeling it on Nuuly...though it doesn't state it is maternity, but perhaps that is why the extra room in that area? It looked at home everywhere I took it...effortlessly elegant in classic black. I wore this jumpsuit with heels, sandals, & boots...all adorable. There are pockets & a button at the neckline in the back, but I mostly wore it unbuttoned because I liked the v-back it created & it was much easier to use the bathroom without fiddling with a button. 
I know it's predictable...but I added dashes of red to this black ensemble. 
I am never not going to mention that I found these Chie Mihara shoes at Vinny's for $8...retail, $400-500. They are a 1/2 to full size too small for me, but we stretched them out on shoe stretchers for several weeks & they are a good fit now. 
Some outfits want winged eyeliner...who am I to disagree?
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Zero, Clinique liquid eye lining pen, Berber eyeshadow by Illamasqua, Sugarpill Cosmetics eyeshadow in Goldilux, Auburn lipliner from MAC, UD lipstick in Spiderweb, & OPI nail polish in An Affair in Red Square. 
I first wore this outfit to work & run errands...then again a few days later for the 3rd day of Wisconsin Film Fest (& my final day as I was flying to Mexico). Our first movie of the day with Kate at Chazen museum. 
David & I had just enough time to grab a quick bite...we couldn't find any decent looking food inside Memorial Union...so we opted for brats & burgers from their outdoor grill. Just don't. I guess a lot of beer makes these taste better?! 
Every time we selfie...David kisses me...it's adorable. After our final movie with Kate & Jason...I don't actually remember particularly loving any of the films this day...I think they were all just alright...we had dinner at Bartaco in the same outdoor mall as the theatre. 
It was an oddly unseasonable spring day in April...in the 80s, I think...& lovely eat outside weather. 

Good bye film fest...until we meet again next year. 

On our walk back to the car, I popped into Ulla & saw that Francis Klein glasses were 50% off...they are the only brand they carry that I really like...so fun. 
I tried on 4 pairs that caught my eye...but I really liked 2 of them a lot. Which 2? The ones above & the leopard. David thought we should get a pair...but then decided maybe I should wait (I sensed he was being sneaky since my birthday was coming up). 
The final time I wore this jumpsuit was in Chicago...12 days after surgery (I wasn't sure if I would regret planning a trip so soon, it was totally fine). After eating at the Polish buffet (last post), we headed over to The Palmer House (our first time staying at this stunning hotel). 
After resting in our room a bit...we headed down to the bar for a cocktail. Magnificent...surrounded by beauty...& so much history...Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, & Frank Sinatra (& so many others) performed here. 
I adored the paisley carpeting & all the beautiful details. 
I glanced over at these paintings & thought...Dolly Madison...then I looked...yep, that's who it is...how did I know that?!
I never did get a photo of the most spectacular feature at Palmer House...the enormous bronze peacock doors...next time. 
We can't go to Chicago without visiting the closest John Fluevog store to us...
These shoes are works of art. I ruined their display by bunching the pairs I wanted to try on together. 
Surrounded by color & beauty. 
These turquoise shoes are the ones that most caught David's eye...but they didn't have any in his size (13)...actually, nothing he was interested in was available for him to try on (when we got home I tracked down the very last pair of these Granville's in a 13 from Amsterdam & had them sent to us). I, however, tried on ALL the shoes (the benefits of being a size 9)...
My feet were still swollen from surgery...so it was a silly time to be trying on shoes, but I wasn't going to pass up this opportunity. 
Look...it's Jack! He's worked at Fluevog for 18 years. He helped us last spring when we were here too. He kept loading me up with swag. So, I left with 3 pairs of shoes...the sandals with the rainbow heels, pointy black & white, & the orange with purple soles. Below...the original store & their current storefront. 
After driving back to the hotel to drop Viktor off at the garage...we walked over to Catch 35 for dinner...where this charming jazz trio was playing. We were a touch early, so we ordered cocktails at the bar (a Lavender Spritz for me & for David, Blood Orange Manhattan). 
At our table...we ordered Crispy Calamari & Charred Spanish Octopus (by far the best plate of the night). David's Pan Seared Alaskan Halibut came overcooked...but the chef redid it perfectly & brought it to the table himself. I had the Pan Roasted Chilean Seabass. The entrees were both good, but not amazing...we are picky & I'm a really good cook. I picked this restaurant based on the reviews online that stated it was the best seafood restaurant in the theatre district. 
Fluefies in poor lighting...I can't believe I forgot earlier. We were enticed into dessert by our charming waitress...how could I say no to key lime pie?! David sent his Flourless Chocolate Lava Cake back...it was lacking richness & flavor...my pie was adequate. Overall, the meal was a B- to C...fine for an upscale meal for your average person, but disappointing to us. 
On our stroll back to the hotel we saw this cool superhero McLaren...which of course David knew all about...I'm not a car person, but I appreciate the look. Some student fashion designs on display near our hotel...I'd wear that green dress. 
Palmer House entrance. I was hoping to get back in time to have an after dinner drink, a Palmer House Brownie Old Fashioned...how delightful does that sound?! We had a show at 9 & we were running late...so something to look forward to next time. David ordered me a drink in a different hotel bar where we were meeting up for the magic show. 
A magic show in a hotel sounds pretty cheesy, right? I am always looking for new things to try & The Magic Parlour appeared in an online search. David likes magic...it came highly recommended by Penn & Teller...so, why not? I got us the VIP package which included an extra 30 minutes of up close magic with Dennis Watkins following the regular show. We were amazed & astonished...I really can't explain how he performed these wonders...it was definitely the best magic I'd ever seen. What a delightful evening. Back in the room...I had this gold box to open. Inside the box were Goruck trainers...David has been loving his & wanted me to have new gym shoes...AND...both pairs of eyeglass frames I had been smitten with at Ulla. So sweet. I love surprises. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment