Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Brian Visits Madison: Mint Mark // Ordinary Elephant at Cafe Carpe



Dress: V-Neck Deco Midi Dress by Anthropologie (size M) via Nuuly
Sandals: Born, thrifted 
Earring: etXarte
Necklace: former Etsy shop, gift from Kate
Bracelet: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
I was the first person to wear this elegant warm brown midi with lovely embroidery...the website calls this wine, but I don't see it. I felt feminine & flirtatious in this foxy frock with a plunging neckline, criss-cross back & waist hugging band...the shirring in back was the only stretch & made the dress fit just right. I didn't wear a bra with this, but a strapless bra might be possible. The dress is sheer, but lined in matching fabric. The fit was tts, great length, & plentiful pockets. 
There were quite a few complaints in the reviews about the straps being too long & unadjustable...however, I did not have that issue. 
I found these warm brown sandals at Goodwill in Verona earlier this year...I rarely buy brown shoes, so I don't have many.
I like the unexpected bits of lilac in the design & considered highlighting them with my jewelry, but decided against it.
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Bourbon; Clove, Monroe, & Oxide eyeshadow from Natasha Denona; MAC lip liner in Auburn & Chicory; Gothica lipstick by KVD; & OPI nail polish in Brisbane Bronze. 
Brian's 3rd visit this summer! And our 3rd time at Mint Mark...so now it's a tradition. I'm always worried he won't make it in time to get there when they open at 4 (patio is first come, first served)...but I worry too much. We began with cocktails on draft: Brian got the Sangrita (Espero Blanco tequila, ginger, lime, orange, chili, seasonal fruit juice) & I got the rotating draft, Roots & Berries (some kind of Reposado tequila, sherry, sarsaparilla, licorice root, goji berry, lime, sparkling)...garnished with a black licorice swizzle stick...this was fantastic. 
Our waitress took our food order just before the kitchen opened at 5 & she brought it all at a leisurely pace. First up...Cauliflower (Bagna Cauda, golden raisins, crispy cheese, fines herbes) & Sweet Corn (pudding, cracklin', fermented blueberry, ramp vinaigrette, mint). Second round of drinks: for me, The G.O.A.T. (MMSB Limousin rye, Lazzaroni amaretto, charred lemon cordial, strawberry shrub, angostura bitters, lemon) & Brian chose Somewhere That's Green (El Tesoro Blanco tequila, heirloom creme de flora, grapefruit cordial, basil syrup, pink peppercorn tincture, lemon).
The food here is so tasty...it inspires us to lick our plates. We were delighted that the Heirloom Tomato (sourdough, whipped beef fat, herbs, balsamic) was still on the menu (tomato season is long)...we were dubious about it last time, beef fat?...but it was perfection.
More exquisite dishes: Tajarin (sungold sugo, pecorino, basil); Agnolotti (sweet corn, crushed tajin corn nuts, whey, ricotta, spicy peppers), I asked about the corn nuts...fully expecting them to be made in house...& our server tells us about how they were on a road trip & got these corn nuts at a gas station & the chef was like...these are going on the menu with something; (SEX) Biscuits (cultured butter, garlic honey); Lemon Pound Cake (fermented blueberry sorbet, orange mousse, crumble). I'm in love with fermented blueberries. A delightfully deliciously delectable dinner.
While we were enjoying our meal, I texted Brian that evening's list of possibilities...& he picked the one I most wanted to do! I have dreamed of catching a band at Cafe Carpe for decades, but didn't want to go alone...this cute little place is just a 45 minute drive away in Fort Atkinson...& has about 1/2 the seating capacity of The Shitty Barn...there is no way more than 50 people can fit in this cozy room. You are assigned seats when you buy your tickets, so there is no need to get there early...also, is there a bad seat in the house? We sat at the bar & had a drink while we waited...the food looked & smelled good, but we were stuffed. 

Ordinary Elephant...a charming folk duo that played wonderful music & were fabulous storytellers...a great introduction to this intimate venue. What a marvelous evening. I'm reliving it a bit as I type this & it makes me happy. The next morning...farmers' market with Kate...Brian & I split a Bialy & an Almond Pop Tart...both were new to me & full of YUM. I miss Brian! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment