Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Romeo & Juliet // Chicago with Kate: Mama Delia & Motherhouse

Dress: Tilda Wrap Dress by Anthropologie (size M) via 
Sandals: Klub Nico via Poshmark
Earring: etXarte
Necklace: former Etsy shop, gift from Kate
Bracelet: Wendy Baker
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
I had this dress from Nuuly last August & I loved it so much I thought I'd rent it again...I knew it would most likely not be in the best shape (the one last year came to me new with tags)...it came to me with tags again...not even sure how that's possible...so this one is now mine forever. It is just the best colors & pattern mixing. I know it's scandalous...but I wore it without a cami anyway. I got the best compliment ever last year while wearing this dress...a woman said to me, you have such a pretty outfit walking by...you look like a parade. I'm not even sure what that means...but it makes me smile. And it's memorable.

We took these photos at The Shitty Barn & I think it's a perfect background...I will be sad if they ever paint this barn.

I just adore this purse from Helen's Daughters...big surprise...she does pattern mixing most excellently. I discovered her at Art Fair on the Square this summer & she's a Wisconsin artist, so I'll have many opportunities to see her around. 
This necklace is still missing one of its big flowers...I can't decide if I like it better this way...more asymmetrical.
I first wore this beauty to farmers' market on a Saturday morning...before heading out to APT with David to see a rare daytime performance. I had a conflict with the original tickets I bought & this show was the only one that fit into my schedule. 
This particular version of Romeo & Juliet just didn't do it for us...we left at intermission. They cast a deaf man (good for them) as Romeo & as the other actors spoke...sometimes they signed...but it was inconsistent & distracting. 
But even when the play is disappointing...there is always my fabulous picnic to make the drive & time worthwhile. We had the picnic area to ourselves on this lovely summer day in September. I made us a big batch of roasted veggies, which we put on a bed of greens with peanut sauce we made last year that we froze. I also cut up the yellow doll watermelon & strawberries we had in the fridge (this whole meal was a total...let's use what we've got), added balsamic & basil. It was delightful...I made a note to bring glasses next time because the juices that are left after all the fruit is gone is fabulous with a bit of sparkling water. 
After our picnic, we wandered over to Wander Provisions...hoping to pick up a few things & treat ourselves to their homemade ice cream. Instead...we checked out the shop next to them...they had a thoughtfully curated selection of things, plus pie...which we did not try, but it smelled good. I especially liked the purses & dog sculptures.
The second time I wore this dress was with the girlie on our first day in Chicago. Don't they look adorable with the matching wallpaper & carpet? Kate borrowed this dress from me...it blows my mind that we can share clothes. We headed out to the restaurant that was at the top of my list to try, Mama Delia. 
Small plates modern Spanish food with an amazing happy hour...all our snacks & cocktails were only $10. We began with drinks, for me...Amotillado Old Fashioned (mezcal, Fresno, bay leaf, caramalized agave)  & a Mojito (spiritfree apertivo, lime, mucho mint) for Kate.
We ordered with a plan to share everything, but I was completely uninterested in Kate's pick, Plant Based Chorizo Bocadillo (marinated vegan cheese, confit onions, pan de cristal)...& oh, was I wrong...it was quite tasty. I ordered something Kate wasn't into, Langostinos (gulf shrimp, cold potato salad, avocado mayo)  & we both enjoyed the Shishitos (sardine conserva brandade, herb oil, lemon sea salt) from the grill...I'd never had them that way, but have since bought some at farmers' market to cook up the next time we grill.
Next up, the prettiest dish...Gazpacho (Atlantic crab, heirloom tomatoes, cherries) which was as delicious as it looks. Then, Tiradito de Atún (yellowfin tuna, citrus escabeche, corn puree).
I had a second cocktail, Citrus Gintonic (Japanese gin, toasted coconut, green sansho, yuzu lime tonic)  Then we ended our meal with Anchovies x Boquerones (confit heirloom tomatoes) & Ensalada (farm greens, nectarine, pimenton spiced walnuts). All the restaurants we ate at this weekend were good, but this is the one I'd come back to. I especially like that it sounds like their menu changes often as they come back from Spain inspired by what they ate there.
Finally found parking for Veronika...a short stroll from the theatre.
I desperately wanted to see this play back in April when David & I were in Chicago, but I learned about it too late & it sold out...& I see why...there are maaaaybe 50 seats in the theatre. This was a truly dysfunctional family story...but it wasn't as good as I was hoping for. Although, with some thought...I liked it more. Anyway, I'm still glad we got to see it.
This weekend happened to also be Mexican Independence Day...we were surrounded by flags everywhere we went. People were hanging out of trucks drinking...every once in a while I'd look over & the driver was also drinking. Totally not scary at all. From what I can tell, the police made it worse by closing exits & streets...it took us an hour & a half to get back to our hotel. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment