Thursday, January 12, 2023

The Occasional Quartet // Boxing Day

Shoes: Mossimo, thrifted 
All Jewelry: Vintage
Photography: Super Boo & Me
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-45
This dress was adorable. It was a nice heavy winter appropriate fabric (cotton/linen)...it reminded me of a flour sack kitchen towel...which seemed appropriate as it was covered in fruit. This could be worn on or off the shoulder. The sleeves were thick enough that a cardigan wouldn't fit comfortably over them. Great midi length with pockets. This was my first dress from this UK company that uses organic cotton & recycled fabrics that are ethically sourced in all their clothing. This fit slightly large as I could have easily gone down 2 or more sizes...& I'm just figuring out what size my current body is (seems like an 8)...however, the wide elastic waist was extremely forgiving. My only issue with this dress was the placement of the pattern up top...I wish the 2 solid blue squares above my breasts were fruit instead, as was the case with the ones I saw modeled. 
I feel like I should have cooked a meal, eaten in a diner, or picked fruit in this dress. 
This vintage parure didn't quite match...but it reminds me of fruit...so I went with it...
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Sabbath; Vinyl, Analogue, Fran, & Legend eyeshadow by Kat von D; Nectar lipliner from NYX; Nectar lipstick by Sugarpill Cosmetics; Bite Beauty lipstick in Orange Fizz; &  OPI nail polish in ?
I first wore this dress to see The Occasional Quartet (Willy Porter, Peter Mulvey, Bill Camplin, & Randy Sabien) at Stoughton Opera House. They are usually billed as The Shitunauts (I think they just mostly play Cafe Carpe), but they wanted to class it up for the Opera House. I arrived early to see the singer playing in the lounge, but there was a gas leak outside, so they weren't letting anyone in until they made sure it was safe. 
There was vinyl! I was disappointed there weren't any records for sale when Kate & I saw Peter Mulvey & SistaStrings at Bur Oak...but they were available on this night. Since I bought 2 vinyl, I got 2 free. Bill Camplin had some records of his from the 70s that he wanted to get rid of...so I brought those home too. And...I finally tried one of the famous Cookie Butter Stuffed Snickerdoodles...yummmm.
I can't remember the name of this singer...she was good...but only played one song because she stopped at the time she would have had the building been open...which didn't make sense to me. They were running about an hour behind because of the gas leak & The Occasional Quartet still played their full set. Maybe she had somewhere else to be?
These guys were fun...they seem like good friends & it was like they were playing for us in their living room...they did songs in rounds, but most of them played along with each other. 
The second time I wore this dress was for Boxing Day shopping. First stop, Target...we wanted to get some new Christmas totes to store our ornaments & other holiday related items. We saved...drum roll...$1! We probably could have waited a few days for the price to go down, but we were there & it seemed easier just to grab them. We also picked up a long storage container for our downstairs tinsel trees...which I am hopeful we can put up next year. I may be slightly ambitious as that would mean the wreck room remodel was done. Next...we drove downtown to check out Little Luxuries 1/2 off Old World ornament selection. Score! We picked up all kinds of fun new sparkles for the tree, including lasagne, a stack of books, & a pickle jar. 
Sur la Table was next on my list...we picked up so many fabulous ornaments here including deviled eggs, a pig with all the cuts of meat labeled (we bought an extra for our butcher, Anna), & bacon. We parked right in front of my favorite clothing store, Anthropologie, so we had to go in. I immediately found 2 sale dresses I loved & a fuzzy sweater...all the sale items were an additional 40% off. David started to come into the dressing room with me, but I told him I wanted to be alone. Everything I tried on was a size small...& I was so sure none of them would fit...I didn't want David in there with me. So stupid. It's just a size & he doesn't care even a little...but I was feeling vulnerable about it on that day. I am in LOVE with that velvet Somerset maxi...it's in my Nuuly closet, but it's never been available when I pick out my dresses...now it's mine. 
One final stop on our hunt for ornaments...The Bruce Company. Their Old World ornaments weren't on much of a sale (10 or 20% off?)...but they had ONE lone hidden Brussels sprout!!! I really wanted that one. Then David dropped me off at Kate's while he went to Costco. I have missed record listening with my girlie. I just miss my girlie. She is recovering from surgery & also just doesn't go out much anymore. She played Dionne! & First Aid Kit's Palomino while we visited. 
Back at home...Rye was very interested in my Anthropologie bargains. And...my latest cardigan finds on Poshmark...is it obvious I searched for "paisley cardigans"?
The next day...David & I went to Orange Tree Imports (they aren't open the day after Christmas)...they always have a nice selection of Old World...we found 2 cheese ornaments, a brat, & a passport, among other things. I also picked up a new apron, with matching hot pads with olives on them & a mini microplane. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment