Monday, March 21, 2016

F*ck Flattering

 Dress: Swing Dress in Geometric Print by Alice & You (size 28) via Gwynnie Bee, try then buy (use my link to get your first month free & help me earn GB credit)
Teggings: Re/Dress
Shoes: Mossimo, thrifted
Earring: Me
Necklace & Bracelets: Vintage
Photography: Super Boo & Me
Stats: 5'7" 55-50-64
I wore this dress out in the world on 3 different days...& had to buy it because I loved it so much. I immediately adored this dress because the pattern reminded me of the triple polyester knit dresses from the 60s that I used to purchase at St. Vinny's back in high school. Also...swing! I didn't expect to enjoy wearing this dress as much as I did. I prefer fit & flare and wrap dresses..& this had a tent shape. And that's not flattering. Fuck flattering. I occasionally use that word here & what I mean when I say it is I feel comfortable, pretty, confident in my outfit...not that it presents my body in a more flattering socially acceptable way. I'm fat. And that is acceptable to me. When I wore this dress I felt younger & twirlier...it was fun! Fashion should be fun. 
Fresh! We drive past this restored ghost sign for Gardner's Purity Bread nearly every day...but have never used it for photos because David has to stand in the street to get the shot...but we took a chance on this day. I think these old signs are so neat & it makes me happy that we have several restored ones in Madison...although the faint ones are lovely too. 
Swing to the left...swing to the right...fashion!
A tisket, A tasket-- put purity in your basket.
I know...we eat here all the time. But! This time it was for a different reason. Madison Area Chefs Network Restaurant Week. Also, this was dinner on a Wednesday instead of lunch on Saturday. I tried The Gotham...it was tasty, but not as yummy as my usual sweet potato falafel (which Kate kindly shared with me <3). During MACN Chef Week...local chefs take over other restaurants, collaborate with each other, & have fun with food. 
I've been working on hemming ~30 pairs of pants David bought unfinished. I think I've finally got it down. I bought this tabletop ironing board & it makes what was the worst part of the job SO easy. The full size ironing board was difficult because the weight of the pants kept pulling my work askew...now they rest comfortably on the table & make this step a breeze. 

Holy buckets...the first subscription box that I like! None of the others have appealed to me, not even Bark Box (I had so much hope!)...but this one, Scent Trunk...sends you 3 x 2ml spray vials each month of indie fragrances for $18 (free shipping in US, Canada, & UK). Other than being from independent perfumers, what I love about this company is that I made a profile of scents I enjoy & they actually sent me my first free month based on that! Shocking. I've filled out scads of profiles with other subscription boxes & each time they've sent me random rubbish. I am enchanted by my first perfume, Yuzu Vanilla...I can't stop sniffing my wrist. The first month is free (use the link above to try it out). I am eagerly awaiting next month. Yet another thing to love about this company, they give a percentage of their sales to mental health research. 
My make-up with this outfit included...NYX eyeliner in Deep Blue, Urban Decay eyeshadows in Heroine & Last Sin, Colourpop eyeshadow in Erotic, MAC Head in the Clouds lipstick, & OPI Give Me Space nail polish. Linking up to Visible Monday, check out those stylish ladies. 
I am wearing the fleur-de-lys earring I made in honor of Shane because it was the 4th anniversary of his suicide. Kate & I had dinner together that day & she asked me why I have the date in my calendar. I hadn't thought about it. I said it was because that's what my mom does...she keeps track of people & dogs death dates. I don't want to celebrate that anniversary, yet I can't forget it. Shane's relatives & ex-boyfriend posted images & remembrances on Facebook that day, but I couldn't. I'm glad they do...suicide should be talked about, especially by those who are thinking about it. Shane was my best friend since we were 14 & I think about him nearly every day. I wish I could spend just one more day laughing with him. I wish I could show him how much we all miss & love him. Shane's ex, Gregory, made this video for a class using snippets from our celebration of Shane's life the week after he died.

2 comments:

  1. I love the playfulness of these photos, and the dress looks great on you. There's a real joy in clothes we can move easily in. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun print...great backdrop. You are beautiful! Love you!

    ReplyDelete