Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Dinners with David // Mike Birbiglia

Dress: Saffron Maxi Dress by Free People (size M) via Nuuly
Sandals: Fluevog, Picnic: Kerry
Earrings & Necklace: Wendy Baker
Bracelets & Purse: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
What a stunner of a dress! As usual with Nuuly, this came to me with the tags still on (5/6 of my items typically do). The colors were incredibly joyous & vibrant...it made me smile just looking at it. The cotton/linen blend & back baring halter makes it an excellent sexy summer maxi. It was a great fit & length on me...except for the chest area...it was big up top & bowed out on the sides...I used fashion tape to prevent too much side boob from showing, but it didn't stick for long. That did not prevent me from wearing this twice & feeling like a temptress. Also, with one pull...I could flash you my boobs...no one is putting on a bra with this maxi. 
Showing off my back scar...I think scars are hot. 
And one of the most exciting things about this dress...I got to wear my new colorful Fluevogs David got me when we were in Chicago. Oh, how I wish John made more sandals. 
And of course, I had the perfect Wendy creations to compliment this ensemble...although I yearn for more bracelets from her. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Psychedelic Sister; RSVP, Lime Crime, & Twonicorn eyeshadow by Lime Crime; UD lipliner in Bang & 714; Bang & No-Tell Motel lipstick from UD; & OPI nail polish in ¡Viva OPI!
I first donned this dress to go out to dinner & a play with David. 
Fluefie! We had reservations at one place, but they wouldn't let us sit outside (short-staffed), so we called Lucille & they had an opening. It was just too gorgeous to eat inside. In keeping with the weather, I ordered a Tropical Spritz (Chinola passion fruit liqueur, Agave de Cortes, lime juice, seltzer, cava, orange & Peychaud's bitters), while David chose Rosé Tinted Glasses (Ilegal Reposado, Lustau Rosé, Vermut, Luxardo Bitter Bianco, grapefruit).
We had our usual meal from here...Pork Shoulder Steel Pan Nachos (smoked mozzarella, Queso, sour cream, pickled onion & jalapeño, Pico de Gallo, cilantro) & Al Pastor Steel Pan Pizza (Aji basil cream, mozzarella, roasted mojo pork, adobo sauce, blistered tomatillo pineapple salsa, cilantro). YUM. We sometimes add things, but I can't imagine not getting these two. Our second round of cocktails were a Banana Daiquiri (Ron Colón red banana oleo, lime juice, sugar) for David & a Saturn (Death's Door gin, Chinola passionfruit liqueur, Lucky Falernum, lime juice, orgeat) for me. 
After our meal, we walked over to the Bartell to see Laced. We would have left at intermission, but there wasn't one...& this production was set up so you'd have to parade through the stage to exit, so...we were stuck. It was just not a well written play & was poorly acted. This bronze statue came to us from the UK...we love her. 
The second time I wore this dress was to dine with David again...this time at Fairchild. Our first time here a year ago was just average, but we wanted to give them another shot. This is our friend Lindsay's favorite restaurant in Madison & the two chefs were nominated for James Beard Best Chef Midwest. We began with cocktails, for David, a Root Beer Sazerac (Willett Family Estate rye, muscatel pasas, root beer, Chateau saü Rancio, herbsaint, Peychaud's) & I tried a Pineapple Express (mezcal, grilled pineapple, coconut, Okar Island bitters, lime). I loved my drink...& liked David's...which was good because he didn't, so I finished it. He replaced it with a Money Runner (bourbon, quince, Amara Rossa Siciliana, lemon, Campari)...which was much more to his liking.We started our meal with some snacks...first up, Cured Hamachi (cucumber, dill, trout roe).
Followed by...Maitake Tempura with lemon aioli & Seven Seeds Beef Tartare (potato pave, oscietra caviar)...those mushrooms were outstanding. On to the appetizers...Yellowfin Tuna Carpaccio (tonnato, Don's Produce cucumber, tomato, olive) & Veal Sweetbreads (mustard greens, black garlic, ramp sausage jus). I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the sweetbreads as that's not always my thing.  
We remembered liking this drink last time we were here...Rhunette (rhubarb, Tito's vodka, Vietti moscato, mint). We told our waitress we were trying them again after a mediocre first visit & she & the chef showered us with free stuff...like wine to complement our Entrees & Moua Family Farm Bok Choy with Thai vinaigrette (this was delectable...I've never liked bok choy more). For my main course I had Cappellini (smoked shrimp, ramp pesto, lemon verbena nage). I picked this based on the toppings, but I prefer more substantial pasta (like David's). 
David's dinner...Pappardelle Bolognese (Cate's beef, Seven Seeds pork, veal, foie gras, nutmeg, cream)...this was delicious. Another free plate from the kitchen, Blue Valley Gardens Asparagus (preserved lemon, sarvecchio)...yum...they do veggies right. My final cocktail, Verbena (bourbon, Pear Williams eau de vie, coriander, chartreuse, curaçao, suze, honey).
David's last drink, Monkey Business (Ron Colón red banana oleo rum, velvet falernum, lime). The only disappointment of the evening came in the dessert...which we both got one of, Flourless Chocolate Cake with Pistachio Ice Cream. It was dry & lacked depth of flavor. The ice cream was good. We let our waitress know & she told us they've had a difficult time finding anyone to make desserts & took them off our bill. Overall, it was a delightful dinner...sometimes second chances work out. Also, it was good timing on our part as the two chefs, Itaru Nagano & Andrew Kroeger, won the James Beard award for Best Chef Midwest shortly after our visit...so it is much harder to get a reservation now. 
On to Mike Birbiglia...I only found out he was coming to Madison a few weeks before while we were walking by Comedy on State on our way to see Billy Porter. I immediately went online to buy tickets only to discover they were sold out. I wrote to the venue to ask if there was a waitlist & the nice lady I had an exchange with got me in a few days before. Two drink minimum at the club...David had a Chocolate Espresso Martini & OMG...real ice cream drinks! I got a classic, Brandy Alexander (brandy & creme de cacao)...later, David tried a Skrewed Up (Skrewball peanut butter whiskey, creme de cacao, banana).
We got there early enough to get seated up front...so I had time for my second drink before the show began...Mudslide (Irish creme, coffee liqueur, vodka). Honestly, these 2 ice cream drinks were a better dessert than what we'd gotten at Fairchild. Mike Birbiglia was great, as always...but this one was a bit rough as it wasn't a fully formed show yet...he's still working it out (as the title states). 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment