Friday, July 14, 2023

Brian Visits: Mint Mark & Aaron Lee Tasjan

Dress: Helena Square-Neck Babydoll Dress by Anthropologie (size S) via Nuuly
Sandals: Born, thrifted
Earrings & Necklace: Green Goddess Vintage
Bracelets: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
This dress was incredibly voluminous with an empire waistline which I did not find flattering...but fuck flattering, right? I adored the prodigious polka dots atop the gorgeous reddish brown background & the substantial straps (which fell down occasionally). This dress is lined & has deep pockets...the elastic back helps it fit well, but I'm not sure my boobs would have been comfortable had they been any larger. Typically, I find cotton dresses favorable for hot weather, but I think all this fabric would be a bit much for temps above 80°. I sized down one to a small per the reviews & it was the right call.
This dress was a twirler for sure...& I had fun with that.
This color was difficult to pair with shoes...so, even though this isn't the right shade of brown, these shoes were also warm & worked for me. 
Adding a touch of leopard print with my glasses...which I don't typically wear in outfit shots so my make-up is more visible. 
I'm thrilled I found this brown polka dot bracelet years ago at a garage sale...I haven't seen another ever (& then I went down a rabbit hole on Etsy looking at dotty bracelets). I thought I might need a cardigan, but it didn't turn out to be necessary. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Bourbon; Dirty Talk, Honey, & Ounce eyeshadow from UD; MAC lipliner in Chicory, Gothica lipstick by KVD; & OPI nail polish in Brisbane Bronze. 
I wore this dress on the first day Brian visited us in Madison...I told him we'd take him out to Mint Mark if he could get into town by 4 so we could secure a table outside...& he made it! David began with his favorite drink from last time, their Sangrita (Espero Blanco tequila, ginger, lime, orange, chili, mango) on draft that the waitress said they just updated...however, it turned out to be the same as he had the week previously...which he loved. I believe Brian had a Blinker (Limousin rye single barrel, raspberry shrub, grapefruit, Bittercube Jamaican #2). David with a sample of the other sangrita that they still had some of so he could taste the difference. 
I started with their rotating draft cocktail, which was a Cherry Spritz & I don't recall what was in it, but it was a sweet summer sipper. And like the week before...we had arrived early, so the kitchen wasn't open yet...so round 2 of cocktails before food. David ordered a Mint Mark Raspberry Martinez (Death's Door gin, Elena vermouth di Torino, raspberry infused dry vermouth, benedictine, citrus cordial, cardamom rose bitters) & I chose Somewhere That's Green (El Tesoro Blanco tequila, heirloom creme de flora, grapefruit cordial, basil syrup, pink peppercorn tincture, lemon). And then there was food! First up, Brian picked Cauliflower (Bangna Cauda, golden raisins, crispy cheese, herbs)...which David has not been a fan of in the past, but this time he enjoyed it...yay!
Brian savoring an X Marks the Spot (Hamilton white stache rum, Tattersall coconut aquavit, black sesame coconut syrup, pineapple, lime, pebble ice). We had a different server than last time & our food came so quickly, 2 at a time & then more before we finished that...I asked her to slow down, but she said that's how the kitchen works...which really spiked my anxiety, but it was still an amazing meal. Cheeseburger, Wisconsin Fish Fry, & the Tajarin we liked so much on our last visit (Steve's golden oyster mushrooms & pecorino served atop homemade pasta...tajarin is the Piedmont regions name for tagliolini & is made with egg). 
We also got a Terrine, but food was arriving so swiftly that there were a few things I didn't photograph. Cucumbers (Ajo Blanco, almond fermented honey, pickled ramps) & Anolini (sprouting broccoli, ricotta, rhubarb dashi, pecorino). The surprise palette cleanser was not a surprise this time, but still welcome...orange sherbet with sparkling rosé. 
Espresso martinis for everyone!
One more bite before dessert...totally new to us...Biscuit $5...can you see why we had never considered it? Oh! My! These were heavenly...transcendent...sublime. What made these so delicious...lots of butter, for sure...& they fried them in more butter, then they dolloped cultured butter on top...crispy, tender...it blew all the other food away...served with garlic honey...I could be happy just eating these for the rest of my life. Brian said they were better than sex...so I dubbed them, Sex Biscuits! I think they'd sell more with that eye-catching name & accurate description. Brian ordered another round for dessert...& we also shared a Skillet Cookie (rye chocolate chip, brown sugar bourbon ice cream, butterscotch). 
After a delightfully delicious dinner...we went home to sit & visit in our backyard to further enjoy the glorious weather & each other's company...frolicking dogs...a tiny apple on one of our trees...we planted them 4-5 years ago & this is the first year they are giving us fruit...so exciting! Awwwwww, hugs...
Aaron Lee Tasjan was playing at Sessions/Pursuit of Happiness music festival...a free event that books great bands. I told Brian it was up to him if he wanted to leave the house again...& I'm glad we went. I'd seen Aaron at The Shitty Barn several years back & liked him. And...fun fact...Jessica Lee Wilkes is his bass player...she used to be married to J.D. Wilkes from The Shack Shakers. A perfect evening. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment