Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Summer Cocktails at Merchant

 Dress: Flutter Sleeve Dress in Blossom Print by London Times (size 24) via Gwynnie Bee (use my link to get your first month free & help me earn GB credit)
Leggings: Torrid (size 5), still available
Sandals: Clarks
Earring: etXarte
Bracelet: Vintage
 Photography: Super Boo, Kate, & Me
Stats: 5'7" 55-50-64
This was such an easy dress to wear...that I wore it on 3 different days before returning it. Good thing too, because I'm seriously behind on blogging & I have a secret project coming up in a few weeks that I'd like to be caught up for. Empire waist dresses are my favorite...& the a-line skirt on this is an excellent length. I loved everything about this dress...except that it came with an ink stain on the chest, which meant I couldn't buy it. Really for the best. I like colors that don't traditionally go together...like the red & pink here...with my newly dyed red hair...fabulous. 
This City Chic frock with no stretch did not fit me...I just threw it on for David to take photos of...which he seriously objected to since he thought it looked just hideous on me with my bra straps poking out. City Chic used to consistently fit me in size XXL, even in garments without stretch...but this is now 2 dresses in a row I had to send back unworn. I'm not sure what I was thinking anyway...grey looks awful on me. This dress would look stunning on the right person...also, it would be PERFECT if you wanted to dress up as a person from a B&W film for Halloween...I'd love to see this used as a dress for that.
Did you notice I got a hair cut? Gen cuts my hair about every 3 months...partly because I like my hair as it grows out...but also because it's difficult to part with $70. As a former hairstylist, I think a good haircut is worth the money though. I started with Gen when she was just an apprentice & charged ~$10...she had given Kate an amazing short haircut & my best friend Shane had been getting harder to get ahold of (he used to do my cut & color)...I'm not even sure what year that was...2008? Earlier? I went to the downtown market afterwards...in the summer I usually go to 3 or 4 farmers' markets a week...I love having access to fresh veggies & fruit. 
I escaped the heat by going to an Overture season preview party...last year I went because they were letting you buy tickets that day (before they went on sale to the general public) & I scored front row seats to David Sedaris. This year, sadly, we were just given a code to use the day before tickets went on sale...AND...the plays I want to see aren't on sale until later in the year. The guy running it said the code would still work...I'm dubious. The girlie & I want to see Phantom of the Opera (its been a long time) & Cabaret. 
Surprise girlie cocktails! Also Szechuan green beans & frites...& Kate! Yay! We thought we'd try some of Merchant's summer cocktails...6 delicious drinks later... We started out with Killer Tofu Tour (Capel pisco, Cynar, St. Germaine Elderflower liqueur, red beet syrup, & lemon juice) & Yacht Club (St. George Terrior Gin, blueberry-rosé claret, Dolin dry vermouth, & Bittercube Bolivar bitters). So good! 
Then we moved on to...Viola Curtis (Don Q Crystal rum, honeydew syrup, lime juice, Bittercube Jamaican #1 bitters, cayenne tincture, & sparkling cava) & RaspByrrhay Rush (Wild Turkey rye, Amaro Montenegro, Byrrh, raspberry syrup, lemon juice, & Bittercube Jamaican #2 bitters). And decided to share a fish fry. 
Lastly, we finished off the evening with...To Hare is Human (El-Dorado 8 year rum, carrot-coconut syrup, & Bittercube Cherry Bark bitters) & Come Hell or High Watermelon (Cardamom infused Reyka vodka, watermelon-rhubarb syrup, lime juice, & pilsner beer). Every one of these 6 drinks were marvelous & I hope I get the chance to sip them again soon. 
The girlie & the capitol...walk off into the sunset...
Saturday market the next morning...hiding behind my enormous fennel. Then Kate & I went to lunch while she was waiting for her beau to finish work. It was the most perfect summer day (anywhere in the 70s is my ideal) with the loveliest of companions. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Zero, Sugarpill eyeshadow in Love+, Kat von D eyeshadow in Löve & Swoon, NYX lip cream palette in The Reds, & CND Vinylux nail polish in Wildfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment