Monday, December 6, 2021

Sal's & Dark Horse

Dress: Printed Cut-Out Midi Dress by Ranna Gill (size 2x) via Nuuly 
Tights: Snag
Shoes: dexflex, thrifted 
Earring: etXarte
Bracelets: Vintage
Photography: Super Boo & Me
Stats: 5'7" 43-41-57
I wanted to like this sexy leopard dress with the side cut-outs, but I just felt a bit frumpy in it & I'm not sure why. But...it was leopard & different, so I wore it. Part of the problem was it was too big on me (my fault for not getting the correct size)...but other reviewers also stated it was a weird unflattering fit. A shorter skirt would have helped. I did enjoy the unexpected cut-outs, but I prefer to show off my shoulders. 
Do the glasses make this too much leopard print? No such thing. Also, I'd like to note that this outfit was worn back in October...I am *really* behind. 
I believe this is my first time wearing this sparkly necklace made by Gayle from Green Goddess Vintage Jewelry. 
My make-up with this outfit included...NYX eyeliner in Jet Black, Jontéblu Glittering Star eyeliner in black, Natasha Denona Ayana eyeshadow palette, Pumpkin lipliner by NYX, Treat lipstick from Sugarpill Cosmetics, Heat lipstick by UD, Kat von D lipstick in Pumpkin, & OPI nail polish in Take The Stage. 
I wore this dress to the last Wednesday outdoor farmers' market...& to drop my ring off at Jewelers Workshop to get it resized. I've been wearing a plastic ring adjuster for about a year to make my ring fit better, but that was starting to get too loose & I was worried it would fall off. The owner, Jason, helped me...he must have thought I was the ditziest woman ever...I didn't know when we had the ring made there or when I got married. I have a terrible memory. My ring size went from 7.5 to 6. While parked outside of the Barrymore, I saw John Hiatt's bus pull in (I am much more familiar with his daughter Lilly's music). I also ordered a few things from Shapermint since my friend Carrie is a brand ambassador for them & I have a lot of extra skin that needs help staying in place right now. 
It was a lovely fall day in the 60s, so David & I decided to eat outside at Sal's on Livingston...but it was not so nice in the shade...so we went inside a restaurant for the first time since February 2020. Creatures of habit...we both began the evening with a Divide & Concord (Concord Grape & Thyme syrup, Rokker Vodka, St Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Clockwork Orange, Lemon, Lime, Simply Syrup)...which I think is currently the best cocktail in Madison. 
Then we shared everything else...Smoked Chicken Wings with Alabama White BBQ Sauce atop Kimchi. I could eat these every day. Then we dared to try another cocktail...we told our waiter we were going to complain bitterly about it not being as good as our favorite, but it held its own & was so seasonal. Cranberry Cobbler (Noteworthy Bourbon, Apple Cider, Cinnamon Clove Spiced Cranberry Sauce, Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup). Seared scallops with an orange buerre blanc, shiitake mushroom bacon, chili marinated bok choy, & soy caramel...another old favorite. Our waiter a few visits back told us the tofu was his favorite item on the menu, so I gave it a try. Crispy Tofu (broccoli, shiitake mushrooms, Fresno chili, cilantro, scallions, & maple soy glaze). And another new dish for us, Roasted Sweet Potatoes (roasted sweet potatoes, Fresno chili, smoked blue cheese, spicy honey, gochujang, & scallions). Drinks & dinner were delightful. As always. Afterwards, we headed next door to check out Dark Horse & have a cocktail. Patrick (the owner) was there & he came & sat with us. He's such a good guy & he's built this wonderful collection of places people can gather & have a good time. We talked with him for over an hour & it was lovely to learn more about him. David drank the Art of Rum (Plantation Dark Rum, Wray & Nephew Overproof Jamaican Rum, Velvet Falernum, pineapple, lemon, chai syrup)...it was fabulous. I had a Wisco Old Fashioned (Wollersheim Press House brandy, bitters, sugar, cherry, orange, lemon-lime soda). I was expecting Luxardo cherries, but these were SO much better...more sour. The bartender said they were from Door County & told me the brand...but of course I immediately forgot. The fabulous bartender & creator of the Divide & Concord gave us this sneak peek into her Halloween cocktail creation. It was delightful...how nice is that?! Dark Horse is comfortable & inviting...with a good cocktail list, revolving art shows, & live music...I am excited to go back.I also wore this dress to have Thursday night dinner at Angie's...where we ate pork belly, roasted sweet potatoes, & roasted cauliflower...with a stir fry of carrots, kale, mushrooms, onion, peppers, & turnips with ginger, & some tasty fermented ramps, along with a delightful glass of Pinot Blanc. Freddie is adorable. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment