Tuesday, October 19, 2021

A Phoenix Too Frequent // Them Coulee Boys

Dress: Toucans Wrap Maxi Dress by Farm Rio (size 2x) via Nuuly (if you use my link now, we both get $20 off, it's typically $10)
Sandals: Born
All Jewelry: Wendy Baker
Photography: Super Boo, Kate, & Me
Stats: 5'7" 45-42-59
This was my first time trying a dress by Farm Rio...I've been following them on Instagram for a while & their clothes always make me smile. I'm thrilled to be able to rent them from Nuuly as I wouldn't pay over $200 for such a memorable dress that I wouldn't wear that often. I say that, but I've hardly ever worn a dress more than twice. Perhaps I just need to stick to renting. 
This dress was a super light weight viscose fabric that I actually got out my iron for...worth it. Perfect fun summer dress. Great fit...I'd say it was true to size, but it's flexible as it's a true wrap dress...I could have just as easily worn the 1x. The straps are adjustable, there are pockets, a hook to keep the neckline closed, & beaded tassels at the ends of the belt. I liked it so much, I wore it twice. 
My largest Wendy Baker necklace...it's a doozy & I've only worn it a couple of times. Also, stunning. I got SO many compliments while wearing this. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Overdrive; RSVP, Candles, & Lime Crime eyeshadow from Lime Crime; NYX lipliner in Orange County; MAC lipstick in Habanero & Dozen Carnations; & OPI nail polish in Living On The Bula-vard!
Close-up of the necklace...because it was too big to fit in the photo with the make-up.
New antique Czech jewelry in bright red & orange. 
I first wore this dress to see a Sunday afternoon play with David back in September, A Phoenix Too Frequent. Two APT plays in a row. It was an early play, so we picnicked after (pictures are not in order). David made us a tasty shrimp salad & we drank some sparkling Michigan wine.
It was a gorgeous day in the 80s & I was still using my wheelchair. 
Fern's raspberries for dessert. The drive to Spring Green is so pretty & Veronika & David make it fun (he's a good driver & takes risks that make me squeal with fear & delight). We finally stopped at this historical marker on the way home that we pass all the time...it was just about Frank Lloyd Wright because his house is 6 miles away...um, not sure how that qualifies as an historical marker, but now I don't have to wonder what it says. The set of the play, which was good, not great. 
I wore this dress a second time (oh, no! things will now be out of order!) to see Them Coulee Boys at The Shitty Barn with my mom, Kate, & Jason on the first day of October. I wore this dress a second time because I loved it & because David was out in California visiting his parents & I didn't want to have a backlog of outfits he needed to take photos of (I prefer to take pictures the day I actually wear the garments)...also, other than stuff I rent, none of the hundreds of dresses/clothing in my closet fit me any longer. This makes me sad. The photographer taking pictures of the boys before the show. And then it unexpectedly rained on us for ~10 minutes...& there was a rainbow. I hid out under the bar overhang & I managed to stay relatively dry...until they opened the doors so we could set up our chairs in the barn. There are no gutters & I got drenched. I made us a roasted salmon salad with whole lemon dressing & Kate & Jason brought garlic-y roasted broccoli salad. Delicious...I love picnics. Look, it's a soaked girlie & a dry girlie...at least it was warm out. 
My mom & me in the front row, because I'm full of anxiety like that. WE BEAT SHARON! She was just down the street walking there when we pulled in to park. I can't believe I nearly forgot to mention that. It was the first (only) time. The opening band was good & mellow, Coyote Brother. Them Coulee Boys set list. And...they ended with a fantastic cover of The Rolling Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want. 
Them Coulee Boys! Kate backed their Kickstarter for me last year at the level of...they'll play an acoustic show anywhere...& they are going to play for me next summer on Lake Superior. Don't I have the sweetest girlie?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment