Monday, January 29, 2024

Mint Mark // A Christmas Carol // Christmas

Dress: Pearl Midi Dress by Banjanan via Nuuly
Tights: Snag
Shoes: Fluevog, Enneagram: Innovative
Earring & Bracelet: Heidi Daus
Necklace: Green Goddess Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
I love a spot of sunshine on a dreary day! I also adored the unexpected color combination with the fuchsia background paired with yellow, mustard, orange, & rust...it really warmed this dress up. I would wear this dress autumn through spring. The fit was tts for me. I sized up to a large because some of the reviews said it ran small, but I shouldn't have. Everything about this dress was perfect, with the exception of the fabric behind the buttons...there wasn't enough of it & even though the dress wasn't pulling, skin showed between the top 2 buttons, so I fashion taped it. Ironing that area might have also smoothed it out & kept it in place better. I may have bought this dress had I gotten it in the correct size. 
I'm a fan of an elastic wide shirred waist as it gives such a nice shape & that it was echoed in the sleeves so I could push them up a bit & they ballooned over made me happy. 
Purple & rust Fluevogs elevated the outfit further...like Fluevogs always do.
This was my first time wearing this bracelet David got me...it also may have been the necklace's maiden voyage, but I have a terrible memory. 
I first wore this outfit to have these pictures taken. As it was only a bit after 3pm...we thought we'd easily get into Lucille for more Miracle on King Street cocktails & to eat dinner. Ha! It was standing room only & 3-4 deep all around the bar. They really do a great job marketing for the Christmas season. So, we decided to go to Mint Mark, but had some time to kill before they opened. A trip to Conscious Carnivore...where we picked up baby back ribs & a duck for holiday meals. 
4:45 arrival at Mint Mark has never let us down...the lovely hostess seats us every time & we have cocktails until the kitchen opens. David's first 2 drinks: Sangrita, on draft (Corralejo Silver tequila, ginger, lime, orange, chili, passionfruit & tarragon) & Bourbon Old Fashioned Sweet (cherry, orange, Angostura bitters, simple syrup, lemon sparkling),while mine were, the Rotating Draft Cocktail, not sure it was named (Lush Impassioned Passion Fruit & Lychee vodka, strawberry? lemon cordial {our server had a heavy accent so I couldn't tell what she said exactly}, sparkling lemon & grapefruit juices) & When Are You Moving? (MMSB Limousin rye, Laird's applejack, house-made apple lemongrass cordial, honey, lemon, five spice sugar rim). 
We always like to begin with SEX BISQUITS (cultured butter, garlic honey). This heavenly delight was followed by: Smoked Whitefish Spread (creme fraiche, horseradish, toast), Foie Gras Torchon (pain perdu, port wine blueberry preserves, ice wine verjus), & Delicata Squash (chèvre, pumpkin seed, pickled chilies, mint, sweet & spicy vinaigrette). 
And that food was followed by more food...Coconut Squash (coconut crusted acorn squash, gochujang aioli, lime), Crespelle (chive crepe, Roth Kase gruyere, caramelized onion, French onion broth), & Carbonara (bacon, egg yolk, pepper, parmesan). David ordered a Blinker (Limousin rye single barrel, raspberry shrub, grapefruit, Bittercube Jamaican #2). 
And the final savory dish, Kielbasa (fuczki {Polish sauerkraut pancakes}, empire & golden russet applesauce, crispy sunchoke, sour cream). And of course...a Skillet Cookie (rye chocolate chip, brown sugar bourbon ice cream, butterscotch) with a shared Espresso Martini, on draft (State Line vodka, Kin Kin coffee liqueur, Nardini, Giffard orgeat, espresso, Regan's orange bitters). Mint Mark is delicious every time we go, which is why it's our favorite restaurant in town...& they were just nominated for a James Beard Award...they deserve to make it to the finals, as well as WIN. Barely on time to see A Christmas Carol at Capitol Theatre in Overture. We got the date wrong! We had tickets in the front row for the next night, but they could exchange them so we could stay & see the show...which we did, but then looked at the seating chart...David's finger is where this night's tickets would have us sitting & mine is our original tickets. You know how much I like the front row...we asked to get our tickets changed back & went home. 
Where 2 used pair of Fluevogs had come in the mail...those red ones were less than $100 on Poshmark...the other I found on Fluemarket. I saw this stunning pearl necklace online & saved the photo because it would be fairly easy to recreate...how stunning would this look against a form fitting little black dress?! Another bargain from Poshmark...a NWT Traffic People skirt in a groovy 60s pattern. The next night, David made us spaghetti before we headed downtown to try again...
I wish they kept up these pretty sparkly lights year round, but we'll take advantage of them while they're there. Front row for A Christmas Carol...our first time seeing it. To be honest, our expectations were low since it was being put on by Children's Theatre of Madison...despite the fact they've been doing it for nearly 50 years. Why haven't we been going every time?! It was excellent. It was La Shawn Banks' 3rd or 4th time playing Scrooge & he brought that character to life. We've seen him in plays at APT & he has a great style. Fluefie from the front row (lots of fake snow on the floor). 
Christmas Day! We go overboard all year round buying ourselves & each other things...so we said, one gift. David (I'm shocked) followed the rule we set & got me a specially made copper purse from Mohop...it's wonderful. I got David some socks from Pantherella & 2 vintage tie clips. Then...I made us breakfast...egg nog French toast with cinnamon swirl bread & bacon. This was spectacular. 
I take terrible videos...but here are 2 of our Christmas tree...


Some close-ups of ornaments I especially like...I've had that devil for decades, the bat we got at APT this past summer, & I was thrilled to find 2 things I love represented in sparkling glass...a Moscow Mule & a gramophone. 
That peacock is the Old World ornament that started it all back in the 90s. It was a gift from a nail client who collected Old World...I am forever grateful to her for bringing this beauty into my life. A Madison capitol building ornament I got at Little Luxuries over 20 years ago, an after Christmas last year acquisition from Sur la Table...pig parts, a basket of strawberries, & Christmas lasagna (I used to make 3 kinds of lasagna for Christmas dinner for years & years & have friends over...it was a tradition that died with Covid). 
This Christmases dinner...roasted duck with sweet potatoes. I also wore this dress to get a lymphatic massage with Courtney, where I told her about a lump in my calf...she was worried it could be a blood clot & wouldn't work on me. So, I reluctantly took myself to urgent care where the nice receptionist told me they didn't have an ultrasound machine (sometimes it pays to blab on)...so I went to the ER. This was especially annoying as I had *just* been to see radiology the day before & I mentioned it to them...& the doctor told me I should go to urgent care & get an ultrasound if I was worried...he says with the ultrasound in his hand to look at my thighs.  Our healthcare system is so messed up. Luckily, thanks to talking, I told this story & got pushed through quicker than normal because the initial doctor I saw felt bad & told me he was sorry I got the runaround. I was really looking forward to going to Orange Tree Imports to get some sale ornaments (they aren't open the day after Christmas), but I spent the day in the hospital instead. I'm making it sound like not too big a deal...but just so you know, I cried & threw a fit about having to go to the ER. The next day...Orange Tree Imports Old World ornament shopping! These Coach duck boots David found me at Retique get worn nearly every day since it first snowed. 
David's first trip to Aldi...& my first since the 90s when I went with Brian a few times. I was looking for a special holiday sparkling water they had around Thanksgiving, Pumpkin Spice, but I waited too long. Back at home my first iridescent leopards dress arrived from Farm Rio...along with a vintage rhinestone belt I found on eBay. The colors in this dress are much more vibrant than the sweater dress version. But you already know...I found that one on a deep sale too, so I have both. 


No comments:

Post a Comment