Thursday, January 18, 2024

Merchant // Handel's Messiah // JD McPherson: A Rock 'n' Roll Christmas Tour

Dress: Long-Sleeve V-Neck Textured Midi Dress by Printer Johnson via Nuuly 
Tights: ?
Shoes: Fluevog, Super Fine: Cardinal 
Earrings: Kerala Rose
Necklace: Green Goddess Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
In our dark warmly lit house, I thought this dress was black at first. It's amazing most of my outfits match as I'm picking pieces blindly. This dress was a great fit, deep-v neckline front & back, pockets, form fitting ruched waist with gold metallic textured bits sprinkled all over. Slightly big, could have sized down from a medium to a small. 
I don't love the way I styled this dress the second time...I liked it better when I went with black jewelry.
I should have went with navy or gold tights...or black if I'd stuck with black accessories. 
Immediately following a haircut...
The first time I wore this dress...I had my second & final appointment with Mar to finish up the filler leaves on my left calf. As you can see, I wore a black & leopard dress at the studio as I didn't want tattoo ink or blood to get on the white parts of this dress. 
Aren't these leave luscious?! Mar does the best leaves.
More acorns too...my left lower leg is complete. 
Back at home...I changed to go out with David...isn't he fancy? Wearing one of his new gold shirts he picked up at The Sophisticated Man. And me thinking we were both wearing black & gold outfits. 
Dinner & drinks at Merchant. To begin, Gingerbread Manhattan (Limousin rye whiskey, gingerbread Coca Cola syrup, cynar, Bittercube orange bitters) & Christmas Mai Tai (Alander spiced rum, Plantation white rum, pistachio orgeat, orange cranberry syrup, Peychaud's bitters). The Christmas decorations are tame compared to their sister restaurant next door, Lucille. David showing off his cufflinks. 
A little happy hour bar snack, French fries with black pepper aioli, followed by a Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich for David (Napa cabbage slaw, jalapeño crema, pickled vegetables, black pepper aioli, fresh herbs, brioche bun) & I had to have Friday Fish Fry (wild-caught Lake Superior whitefish, cornichon tartar sauce, marble rye bread, braised red cabbage, potato salad with giardiniera aioli & scallions). Merchant used to have a terrific fish fry before they remodeled (& got a new chef)...this was one of the worst I've ever had. We told our waiter & he removed it from our bill. Why, Merchant? Second round of cocktails...
Winter Paloma (Lunazul tequila, pomegranate, ginger honey syrup, lime juice, ginger beer) & Something in the Orange (barrel aged gin, orange cranberry syrup, citrus). Finally, we shared a Winter Squash Risotto (roasted squash, roasted brussels sprouts, Sartori parmesan, shaved brussels & fried sage salad, sherry vinaigrette, crispy pepitas). The risotto was yummy & welcome after the fish flop. After dinner...we went over to Bethel Lutheran Church for Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra's (good thing I looked at my ticket so we didn't show up at Overture) Handel's Messiah. Packed house...& there was a harpsichord on stage! 
A few dinners...the usual & this chicken sheet pan recipe we've been loving with brussels & lemon. This is my drain situation...I carried these 3 drains around for a month, then 2, & I've *still* got 1 in for over 2! months now. I never imagined. My thighs retained a lot of fluid from surgery. I just want my body back & to belong to me...I'm at the hospital once a week & carrying this bag of drains around & trying to dress without it showing...it really gets me feeling terrible about my body & I hate that. Soon. The one thing that has helped me get through this is my lymphatic massage person/friend, Courtney. I took this photo at her office. I see her once a week & she helps with the fluid draining & works to loosen my scars up. She's also been incredibly supportive emotionally & I appreciate her honesty in telling me her opinion even when it's not what I want to hear. Later that day...David & I had a meeting at Capital Ketamine for an introduction & tour, then I walked next door to get a haircut from Sigrid...& David & I went to Olbrich Gardens for these outfit photos.

That night...Stoughton Opera House with my girlie to see JD McPherson presents A Rock 'n' Roll Christmas Tour.
Christmas stage & the opening act, Joel Paterson...
I'd seen JD McPherson at The Shitty Barn in the summer & he put on an amazing show...this one was even better. He seemed to be having more fun with his band & wasn't as awkward interacting with the audience...perhaps the intimacy of the barn was intimidating to him & the stage removes him a bit? He has a Christmas album of original songs & he played those interspersed with regular tunes. I'd go see him anytime he comes around...great energy & fun music. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment