Sunday, January 28, 2024

10 Day Staycation Begins // Amara // Thrifting // Tattoo

Dress: Little Seashell Maxi Dress by Spell via Nuuly
Tights: Snag
Shoes: ?, thrifted
Purse: Portland Leather
Earring: Wendy Baker
Necklace: The Embellishing Room
Bracelet: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
This pretty dress was flowy, light, & easy to wear. In addition to seashells, pumpkins, & flowers...there is a border all around of mermaids on the bottom. I was confused by the pumpkins as they didn't seem to go with the water theme of this dress, but I like pumpkins & they definitely went with the warm orange & yellow fabric. There is a slip, but it is very short. My only complaint about this dress was it came to me super worn out & faded with a few tiny holes...I mostly wore this for errands & in dimly lit places as it wasn't nice enough for anything else. Too bad, I'm guessing this dress was spectacular earlier in its life. 

This dress would have been more at home with sandals...but this was December, albeit, a warm one. 

I found these shoes thrifting years ago at Savers. I stuck several pads on the heel, but even then, these shoes were huge on me. Another item for the donation bag. I will miss them. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Mildew eyeliner & eyeshadow by Urban Decay, KVD eyeshadow in Analogue & Legend, NYX lipliner in Pumpkin, Hypnotic Rust lipstick from Make Up For Ever, & OPI nail polish in A Woman's Prague-ative. 
I first wore this dress for a short day at work...the last day of work before we took 12 days off. We were ridiculously excited for a Staycation. I thrifted this coat for $15 & found $20 in the pocket. I finished work before David, so I ran some errands...Vinny's on the west side...I probably should have bought that bright Zuri dress, but I don't care for their tent like loose fit & can a white woman really wear those prints? But it was a $150 dress for $10...I could have experimented? 
Picking up pecans at Trader Joes. Yay! Reunited with Super Boo! We had late dinner reservations at a new to us restaurant, Amara. But first, selfies/usies in a little holiday decorated hut built for that purpose.
Walking by Anthropologie on our way to the restaurant...I had to try on some sale dresses. That black one was a size small, & the green was the same style in an extra small...both were huge...who would these look good on?! Arriving at Amara...they are owned by the same people as Lucille & Merchant. It's kind of puzzling why we'd never been here...but it's on the west side of town, so really only makes sense after work. 
Bad first impression, they were out of the ingredients to make their cocktail special that I ordered, Felix Felicis (State Line London dry gin, cream sherry, orange juice, ginger syrup, Peychaud's bitters)...& our waitress wouldn't tell us which ingredient it was...weird. Cream sherry? I mean, they are steps away from a grocery store, so what's up? Anyway, I had to go with a Pomegranate Holiday Smash (vodka, pomegranate & orange syrup, lemon juice, smoked cinnamon, mint, sugar rim) & David chose Christmas Punch (Tuscan red wine, Grand Marnier, gin, apple, cinnamon, rosemary). Both drinks were delightful. First up for food...Fried Baby Mozzarella (breaded & fried ciliegine, smoked chili & tomato sauce) & Angry Shrimp Spiedini (chili & garlic shrimp, marinated artichokes, salsa verde). 
Cocktail #2: for David, Italian Paloma (tequila, homemade pompelmocello, lime, blood orange soda), while I had a Honeycrisp & Cherry Mule (vodka, honeycrisp & tart cherry shrub, ginger beer). More food to share...Lasagna Fritto (fried lasagna skewers, Italian sausage, mozzarella, smoked chili & tomato sauce) & Calamari (lightly fried squid, peppercorn blend, pickled long hots, giardiniera aioli). This is now my favorite calamari in town. 
Third round of drinks: David chose a Cranberry Old Fashioned (bourbon, cranberry orange Demerara, Angostura bitters) & I picked Golden Twist (State Line London dry gin, Cynar, cinnamon syrup, cocoa bitters, absinthe). Finally, mains...for me, Porchetta (Heritage Farms pork shoulder wrapped in crispy skin pork belly, braised leeks, buttermilk cream, brussels sprouts salad, apple mostarda, chive oil) & David had Paccheri (shredded beef cheek ragu, tomato grodolce, breadcrumbs, SarVecchio). So. Much. Rich. Food. That brussels salad with mine was nice & vinegary, so it was essential with the fatty pork...& delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed this meal & immediately bought a bunch of gift certificates at Costco for when we come back...$75 for $100. We had already bought one to use on this dinner to see if we liked it. We liked it. 
Small haul from Vinny's...including 3 paisley silk ties for David. I am constantly at the hospital...once a week for an appointment with Interventional Radiology...so they can check my drains & put new ones in. I went to the beauty supply to get some things...I keep my license up just for this reason...1/2 price. 
Dinner...Cabbage & Kielbasa with Rye Croutons. A trip to Costco...they had this amazing set of zodiac sign glass bottles filled with brandy...it was like something out of the 70s. And...another trip to the hospital...like I said, I wore this dress mostly for errands.
On my way home, I made the excellent decision to stop at Vinny's on Willy St...just look at all that sparkle *swoon*...they had racks of it for NYE. 
I tried on other things too, including that vintage plaid wool skirt. 
My find of the day was the black sequin Betsey Johnson dress below. Oh! And a vintage burgundy trench coat. David made a beef roast for dinner & I roasted some potatoes. 
And...the final time I wore this dress was to get a lymphatic massage with Courtney...then a tattoo with Mar, but Mar texted me they had car issues & were running 30 minutes late...so I bopped into Vinny's again where they were having 50% off all of the remaining NYE items...what?! 
Poor Mar, I was 20 minutes late for our appointment...but, shiny! 
Mar freehanded paisley patterns in all the blank spots on my right calf...my lower legs are completely filled & finished...now what?! Rose gold glitter heels & other fancy things. I wonder if they do this every year & I miss it completely...must stalk Vinny's next year...as if I don't already. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment