Sunday, October 13, 2019

Spring Green // Chicago

 Dress: Green Apple Print Fit & Flare Dress by Unique Vintage x GB (size 5x) via Gwynnie Bee 
Leggings: LuLaRoe (TC2) via eBay 
Sandals: Dansko
Earring: etXarte
Necklace: Wendy Baker
Bracelet: Vintage
Photography: Super Boo, Kate, & Me
Stats: 5'7" 55-50-64
This soft knit fit & flare was easy & comfy to wear. The tiny print is of apples with a bite taken out of them...too dainty for me, I wish they had been larger. The fit was great, but the length was a bit short...I wouldn't have felt comfortable wearing this dress with tights. 
I thought the plaid leggings not only matched...but carried the school theme throughout the outfit. 
Guess where I am? David & I were in Spring Green to see plays at APT...so we went to The Shitty Barn between shows & shot these photos. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Junkie, Bang Bang & Young Love eyeshadow from UD, Sugarpill Cosmetics eyeshadow in Love+, MAC lipstick in Dubonnet Amplified & Russian Red, & A Little Guilt Under the Kilt nail polish by OPI. 
David & I were supposed to see Twelfth Night the previous Saturday, but I changed our tickets the day before because the likelihood of it raining on us was high...so of course it didn't rain. However, I think it worked out marvelously to see Twelfth Night in the afternoon, along with the other play we had tickets for at night. We had just enough time between shows to take pictures & get a quick bite at Culvers...the only fast food restaurant we go to. Those Butter Burgers are tasty. 
Twelfth Night was wonderfully acted & such a delightful comedy...we almost wondered if we should skip our second play, August Wilson's Fences. I am ashamed to admit...I had never heard of August Wilson...now I'm hoping they put on a play of his every year. The story was set in 50s Philadelphia & focuses on a black family...what a beautifully cast play...it was achingly good...David & I were sobbing in the front row. He wrote a lovely letter to APT about it as it was one of those rare plays that will stay with you forever. If it hadn't been closing night...we would have seen it again. 
The next day was the final Elkhorn Vintage Flea Market of the season...we had decided the day before to skip it because of rain & exhaustion...both plays were 3 hours long & we didn't get to bed until 1am...getting up 4 hours later seemed like too much. Plus...Kate & I were driving to Chicago in the afternoon. After we checked into our Airbnb...we had dinner nearby at Cafe Marbella. I usually only write reviews for places that are outstanding...but this paella was so insulting that I had to write a review on Yelp:
Cafe Marbella states that they serve authentic Spanish cuisine, which I adore, so it sounded perfect for dinner. The sautéed mushrooms (Setas Al Ajillo) & crispy pasta with shrimp (Rossejat De Gambas) were delicious...both excellently seasoned & cooked. I might go back for those dishes & try out other tapas, but the rest of our experience was so meh that I doubt I'll be back. First of all, the floor was extremely slippery...like wax. I was happy we were seated right by the door so I didn't have to keep myself from falling for too long. I watched other diners experience the same surprise when they stepped into the restaurant. My sangria was terrible, the taste was overwhelmingly bitter because the rind & pith of the oranges had been soaking in it for too long. The salad we shared had lovely dressing, but was otherwise forgettable. However, what has caused me to write this review was the seafood paella. It was awful. Authentic Spanish cuisine? Has the chef been to Spain? What makes a paella most exquisite is the toasted rice in the bottom of the pan (socarrat). This paella did not have that despite being cooked in a paella pan. This paella tasted like a frozen microwave dinner bought at a grocery store. There was no depth of flavor or anything enticing about this sad excuse for paella. Chicago is full of excellent restaurants. This is not one of them.
Those mushrooms & the shrimp on a bed of crispy angel hair pasta...YUM...but just look at that watery mess of paella. After dinner we headed to Steep Theatre to see a preview performance of their next play, Mosquitoes...for $10! We typically come to Chicago to see touring Broadway shows...but I decided to see what else was going on & the first article I came across was a NYT piece about Chicago's amazing theatre scene. 
Housed in a former small grocery store, this storefront theatre was tiny (50 seats?)...but what a gem this place is...the staff was super friendly & the acting was outstanding...I'm still thinking about the dysfunctional family in the play. 
Such a peaceful stage...& so small that poor Kate's ankle was whacked by passing furniture during a set change. I want to see every play this company does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment