Sunday, October 22, 2023

The Pirates of Penzance // Chicago: Kayaking, WNDR Museum, The Warbler, The Rise & Fall of Little Voice

Dress: Catherine Pleated Sundress by Traffic People via Poshmark
Sandals: Born
Purse: Portland Leather, gifted
Necklace & Earrings: The Embellishing Room
Bracelet: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
Lovely early autumn sundress...in warm earth tones...with unexpected pops of blue that prevent this from looking like a vintage 70s number (I'd be all for that too). I adored the pleated skirt, ruffled neckline, & length of skirt...the straps are adjustable & the fit is great. 
After falling in love with some Traffic People clothing at a boutique in Milwaukee...I routinely check for what's out there on Poshmark. I found this $175 dress for $28. This is a medium...TP tends to fit tts. Speaking of sizes...I'm no longer going to include the size of what I'm wearing...I thought it was important when I was a size 26/28, but I'm just a standard size M now. 
My poor departed mustard sandals...before they fell apart. These were taken in August, when I first wore this dress. 
I would wear this dress in colder months with a cardigan, tights, & boots. 
I wore this dress waaaay back during the first week of August...to see The Pirates of Penzance with David. 
We had a live orchestra to our right...we were impressed by how well they pulled this off...the cast was wonderful & we had a rollicking good time. Kate & I in Chicago on a Saturday mid-September...we got up & went kayaking! 
But first...we walked down to the river...some pretty mosaic on the way, as well as this breakfast restaurant that seemed extremely popular, pumpkins...
Chicago Riverwalk...
Kate found this place online that will take you kayaking on the river, or you could also go alone, but we thought a guide would be a better first time. 
The architecture in Chicago is stunning & I had never seen it from that vantage point before. We stuck to the edge so as not to get run over by tour boats. 
It made me smile to see these roses floating past me. 
My second time kayaking was just as fabulous as my first...it's official...I love kayaking. This was a great experience & I would most certainly do it again without a guide. 
I'm glad there is still so much old mixed in with the new...
There was a sign for Beetlejuice at the theatre next to our hotel... Kate & I decided we'd come back in November to see it. However, I had forgotten it was also coming to Madison. Kate had ordered & picked up lunch on our walk back...I decided to wander the area as there are quite a few spots close by...unfortunately, they are only open during the week. Hotel carpeting is always so delightfully extra. Ready for the day.
Both Kate & I had had WNDR Museum on our list of things to do in Chicago...but it seems neither of our partners were interested...so here we are. It was a fun space full of interactive art installations & lots of photo opportunities. 
Surrounded by me...
I need this on a mirror I look into every day...MOST OF THE STUFF YOU'RE WORRYING ABOUT WON'T HAPPEN.
Dancing...
Warped perspective...
This floor lit up in the places you touched it...
So, this whole place is basically a selfie background. I wasn't blown away by it, but I'm glad I went once (& left David out of it). 
Yayoi Kusama, a 94 year old Japanese artist who has resided in a mental health facility since the 70s...she walks to her nearby studio most days. 
Yellow dots to infinity...
More dancing opportunities...
After an hour at WNDR, we dropped Veronika off at the hotel & hopped on the L. After the disaster of traffic & road closures from Mexican Independence Day the night before...Kate was not letting me drive again. The whole thing was stressful & scary. I took a picture of this shop, Vintage Eyephoria, so I'd remember to visit next time I'm in Chicago. Our destination, The Warbler. 
Kate had given me a list of Chicago restaurants with good patios...& this is another one I thought sounded tasty. We began with cocktails, for Kate, The Gazebo (sparkling lime, vanilla, basil) & for me, The Regal Eagle (bourbon whiskey, cherry boomerang liqueur, Oloroso Demerara, expressed orange). 
We shared a plate of Charred Broccoli (broccoli & apricot slaw, crispy rice chips, black bean sauce, Korean chili flakes) before our mains came. Kate chose Grilled Tofu (garlic-chili glaze, seared sticky rice, spinach, Thai spiced edamame, miso purée, rice chips) & I picked Crispy Tempura Ribs (plum sauce, tempura crunch, Bibb lettuce, sesame seed, scallion) &, after being assured the pasta was made in house, Mac & Cheese (parmigiano, fontina, cheddar, béchamel, breadcrumbs). This was a marvelous version with lots of flavor. 
I couldn't resist trying their carrot cake...which was yummy with the caramel & ice cream...but I'm not used to having carrot cake warm. I'd order everything I got here again...it was all thoughtfully put together with excellent flavor...but nothing was unique enough to delight me...although that broccoli was quite delicious & different with the cold broccoli slaw mixed with charred broccoli. 
We took a Lyft to The Filament Theatre where we had tickets to see The Rise & Fall of Little Voice. Kate's look of excitement brought to you by this classic Cadillac convertible starting up.  
Another dysfunctional family play. Our Lyft driver took the same amount of time to get us back to the hotel as it took us the night before...he was encountering the same obstacles...lots of road closures & traffic...but we eventually made it...& it was far less stressful letting someone else deal with the driving. Good call, Kate...I would have stubbornly tried to drive again if she hadn't insisted. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment