Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Madison Symphony Orchestra // Husk // Flying Home

Dress: Tropical Kelly Fit & Flare Dress by Leota (size M) via Gwynnie Bee
Sandals: Born
Earring: Kerala Rose
Necklace & Bracelet: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
Gorgeous summer smocked frock...quite different from the typical Leota work dresses. The fit was excellent & it was a great length. Sexy up top with the off the shoulder sleeves & ties to keep it up. The tropical print was made up of dots in green, blue, white, & pink on a black background...& the flounce at the bottom was the ideal ending.
The first time I wore this dress (outfit photos) was without a bra, but the other 2 times I wore a black bra that matched...so I didn't care if the straps sometimes showed. 
These sandals were the perfect pairing...
I don't wear this Miriam Haskell necklace often enough...it was a bit fancy for this dress, but I liked it.
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Mars, Dragon eyeshadow from UD, Mediteranee eyeshadow duo by Nars, Bite Beauty lipliner in 72, Sugarpill Cosmetics lipstick in Nectar, Bang lipstick from UD, & OPI nail polish in Orange You Going to the Game?
I initially wore this dress to attend the final Madison Symphony Orchestra concert of the season with David. I was excited for my favorite, Carmina Burana...so dramatic...but they also introduced us to a new-to-us composer, Florence Price (I'm listening to her right now on Spotify), which we loved. A fantastic way to end the year. 
The next time I wore this dress was in Charleston with my mom...to have dinner at Husk...the restaurant I was most excited to dine at. They were completely booked when I tried to make reservations a few weeks ahead of time, but when I talked with someone on the phone, they told me to get there early & we could possibly eat at the bar or an outdoor table. We showed up around 5 & were told we could get a seat in the bar next door at 8...but after checking it out, I decided it was too loud...the only other table was at 9 on their upstairs covered patio (the rain continued). I desperately said yes...& when we came back...the lovely hostess seated us at a table in the main dining room...she said it was the least she could do after the woman was so rude to me (I was waiting to check in & a lady asked if I was in line...I said yes, then as soon as the hostess was free...she went up to the counter {my back was turned as I was talking to my mom}...she was 1/2 an hour late for her reservation because she claimed she got lost {she repeated this at least a dozen times}...when she was finished I told her I had been next in line & she knew it...she had an excuse for that too). I have a feeling we got her table...it pays to speak up. 
There are 3 locations of Husk...all in beautiful old houses. I was thrilled to get a table where I could peep the kitchen...tucked under the stairs. It turns out...neither my mom nor I take good photos...I was wondering where I got that from. 
I couldn't decide on a drink, so I told our server my narrowed down choices & she suggested...Southern Jewel (Blanco tequila, Ford's sloe gin, aperol, strawberry, cucumber, honey, cardamom)...it was wonderful. My mom ordered Field Greens (buttermilk dressing, crispy ham, cucumber, red onion) & I started with Wood Fired Oysters (fermented Chile ramp butter)...which was one of the best things I've ever eaten. I don't think I've ever even liked a cooked oyster before. 
The cocktail menu looked so good, I had to try another...Hell's Belles (mezcal, Reposado tequila, St. Germain, pepper agave, thyme, Peychauds). My main course was Ramp Lumache (NC shrimp, fermented chili garum, okra, chicken cracklins) & mom picked Grouper (country ham broth, shiitake, peas, carrots). Both dishes were excellent.
And that Hearth Baked Skillet Cornbread with Broadbent's bacon crumble *swoon*. Our waitress asked if we wanted dessert...my mom declined...but I didn't want this meal to end, so I said yes. This was a big deal for me as my mom has told me I'm fat my entire life & always criticizes my food choices, so I feel less than me around her...but I did what I wanted. And my mom ended up ordering Blueberry Goat Cheese Ice Cream. 
I nearly went with the Lemon Poppyseed Olive Oil Cake, but I am SO happy I got the Chocolate Chess Pie (coffee ice cream, duck fat caramel, bourbon whipped cream, smoked salt)...my immediate thought upon tasting it was...David would love this. Every bite was spectacular. There is an enormous board displayed in the entryway of all the farms they source their food from. Husk uses local in season produce & changes their menu daily...just my kind of place. 
This would be my favorite restaurant if I lived here...I hope I can someday share it with David (this is not a Kate friendly menu). They also have a location in Nashville...so that is the first place I'm making a reservation the next time we go. Back at our pretty old hotel
The final time I wore this dress was on our way out of town...look...it's sunny in Charleston! Scenic drive through the mountains of the Carolinas & Tennessee. We stopped at Hardee's for lunch (not my choice)...I don't eat fast food because I think it's disgusting...with the exception of Culver's. 
At the airport...going home...to the Capital of Cheese...to Super Boo & the doggies. There's no place like home. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment