Friday, June 23, 2023

Charleston // Seasaw

Dress: Sonnet Dress in Buzz Print (size S) by Effie's Heart
Sandals: Dansko
Earring: etXarte
Necklace & Bracelet: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
This Sonnet style of Effie's Heart dresses is one of my favorites, but it doesn't have pockets...faux wrap top, low back, full skirt that hits the shins...it's an ideal warm weather day dress. I'm a solid medium in EH, but they have sample sales where they sell their dresses for $40 (regularly $120)...& those are all smalls. I can easily wear S-L in this brand since they are made of cotton spandex jersey. 
My back NEEDS a tattoo...perhaps by next summer?
Every time I wear this necklace, I think about how both David & I questioned if it was me...would I wear it?
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Zero; Carnelian, Jasper, & Agate eyeshadow from Natasha Denona; UD lipliner & lipstick in Bang; & OPI nail polish in My Chihuahua Doesn't Bite Anymore. 
I brought this dress with me to Charleston & it's what I wore on our first full day there. In the rain...which was the theme of our trip. First, I popped downstairs to the attached Starbucks. I meant to get a coffee...but I left with dessert, which is basically what their Frappuccinos are. After getting ready, we headed down the street to the Charleston City Market. It was extremely touristy & I don't feel the need to go back. 
There was definitely some local art & food...but most of it was uninteresting. After lots of walking around...we left the market & took a short stroll to Hyman's Seafood. It was in a great old building & I adored this spiral staircase. 
Despite it being 2pm, there was a bit of a wait...just 25 minutes. By the time we left it was well over an hour to get a table. My mom & I had a drink at the bar. At our table, Clifton brought us out some boiled peanuts...which I'd never had before & they were delightful. They tasted like salty cooked pinto beans. I wouldn't snack on them on a regular basis...but I like to try new things. 
The walls of Hyman's are filled with framed photos of all the celebrities that have eaten there...& there are name plates on the tables of who sat there...we just happened to be seated at the Neil Diamond table...my mom's favorite singer. These hushpuppies were the best I've ever had...crispy outside, moist inside...with the ideal sweet/salty ratio. I brought home a mix...we'll see if it even comes close to the ones they make in house. 
My mom had a bowl of She Crab Soup & a Chilean Seabass Croquette. I had a Catfish Po'Boy & we shared some Fried Green Tomatoes (photo taken after we'd eaten most of them). 
During our meal, the owner, Eli (4th generation, his son also works there), came to our table to check how everything was...also, as we were leaving...he was outside with an enormous bowl of hushpuppies...feeding all the people waiting for a table. I took one.
We were supposed to go on a boat ride & carriage tour around the city...but no boats were going out on the choppy water...& we cancelled our carriage ride with the hopes of having better weather the next day. Of course I had looked up thrift stores, not really thinking we'd get to any...however...we drove out to the one I most wanted to check out, Reinvented. 
It was amazing in there...so many pretty clothes, but also just decorated to the hilt. I LOVED it. There were outrageously huge (new) sun hats of all colors around the store & I wish I would have picked one up in orange or yellow. There was a sale going on that just started that day...it's posted on the mirror below, but probably too small to read...Blue Tags 60% off, Pink 50%, & Yellow 20%. All my items were blue tags. I got all of the garments I tried on with the exception of the floral skirt, which I adored...but was too big on me. 
Checking out my butt.
There was so much stuff everywhere...I didn't even see the 2 birds in a cage until we were checking out...no photos were taken because I'm not a fan of birds...but those lamps *swoon*. My mom got the jacket & pants hanging next to my stuff, plus a pair of shoes. I would shop here every week if it were local...lovely lady working there & lots of wonderful clothing of all sizes. 
The second time I wore this dress was to work back in Madison (& get these photos taken at Olbrich Gardens)...where I *did* take a picture of a bird. A nice big salad...& prepping for a picnic the following day. I wore this dress again the next day...lymphatic massage with Courtney & a bit of shopping at Goodwill. 
Then I picked Kate up & we were off to the Shitty Barn to see our favorite local band, Seasaw. I made us a dill salmon salad...which was good, but not my best. 
I also brought some farmers' market strawberries & Kate supplied the watermelon. A lovely day in Spring Green with the best company. 
The opening band, Jane Hobson, were surprisingly good considering they had only been together a year...they ended with The Cranberries: Dreams...which was their whole vibe. 
Seasaw! We love those girls. They have a band now...& it was super cute...they came out & played their first song alone, as usual...then they added band members who appeared to just be walking by...a drummer, bassist, & keyboard player...& they just all seemed to be having so much fun...it was a great energy & always makes the show better. We couldn't remember how we first got into them...so this blog came to the rescue as I tracked it down the next day. Apparently, back in 2014, we first saw them at Bubble Music Fest...& the reason we wanted to see them play was because the bartender at High Noon was playing them before a show & I liked them so much, I had to ask her who it was. Mystery solved. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment