Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Take Me To Church

 Dress: Sketch Scarf V-Neck Dress by Spruce & Sage (size 4x) via Gwynnie Bee (use my link to get your first month for $10 & help me earn an extra garment for a month)
Cardigan: Talbots
Tights: Catherines
Socks: Sock Dreams
Boots: Doc Marten
Pin & Bracelet: Vintage
Earring: Me
Photography: Super Boo & Me (Canon Rebel & iPhone)
I wore this outfit to church. I adore the fun 70s retro feel of this purple scarf-like print faux wrap dress...you know, since purple has become one of my favorite colors. I wish it were a few inches longer & that pin was necessary as this neckline needed more help than just a safety pin could provide. Super Boo liked it on me so much that I bought it, so I am going to add a snap so it stays closed.  The material is rather thin, so it will be wearable in summer as well paired with teggings. I especially like how these multi-striped socks bring all the shades of purple together. 
The story of what brought me to church is not about clothes, so the clothing talk ends here. 
I grew up Catholic, but haven't gone to church in years & certainly not on my own...without family obligations. My attendance in church on this day was for a purpose. It will be 3 years in March that my best friend from high school took his life. Shane had a strong psychic connection to the people he loved...he would see images of everyday things they were doing & he would sense when something wasn't right. He shared these thoughts with me often enough that I had no choice but to believe he had this gift. So when his cousin told me their family had been getting signs from him, which included the song, Take Me To Church...I believed them. I had had some signs lately too which has never happened to me before. 

I'm not sure I believe in heaven, but it's a nice idea. Shane didn't have strong beliefs either when he was alive, but perhaps he knows something more now. In any case, Gregory & I took him to church. The regular service was extremely moving & their Saturday night service is a candlelit one at the end. When it was over Pastor Jeff (a former Catholic priest) took us up on the alter & had us place Shane there & asked us who Shane was & is. He took the time to listen to us & try to understand, total strangers to him. Pastor Jeff blessed Shane's ashes in a lovely touching ceremony that involved both Gregory & I. It felt peaceful. It felt...right. 
I wore this fleur-de-lis earring that I made because Shane adored this emblem & it has come to symbolize him; the pin is one he gave me as a gift long ago; & the bracelet was my paternal grandmother's, but I wouldn't have it any longer if not for Shane...he rescued it from beneath the sand in Lake Superior hours after the waves had buried it. That was another one of his special gifts, going out of his way to make those he loved happy.


I miss you, Shane. I hope all of us taking you to church has helped. I hope you're happy & that I get to hear your amazing laughter again...someday. 

2 comments:

  1. Those berry shades suit you so well.

    I'm sorry for your loss. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your friend.

    Also, you look fabulous in these colors. :)

    ReplyDelete