Wednesday, May 10, 2023

WI Film Fest // Surgery in Mexico

Dress: See It Through Dress by Free People (size M) via Nuuly
Sandals: Born
Earring & Necklace: Wendy Baker
Bracelet: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
This style of Free People maxi is similar to The Marias from Anthropologie...flowy & light...great warm weather dress that is easy to wear. These dresses want to take a walk on the beach with you. This definitely runs at least a size too large, even considering it's a relaxed fit. Drop waist with very low pockets. Great maxi length for me...I wore this with both heels & flats. 
I'm so excited it's sandal season...I mean, it comes & goes...but I have a whole new foot wardrobe to pick from. 
I found these adorable painted cork wedge heels on Poshmark last year.
Warmer weather also means more opportunities to wear Wendy flowers...
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Goddess & Abyss; Egypt, Leafar, Catherine, & Kelly eye shadow from KVD; UD lipliner & lipstick in Big Bang; Flashback lipstick by UD; & OPI nail polish in Nessie Plays Hide & Sea-k. 
My favorite local band, Seasaw...I preordered their new album & I chose to get it in orange (the other color was green...difficult decision). I missed their album release party while I was in Mexico...but Kate & I are seeing them at The Shitty Barn this summer. 
I found a tube of this discontinued UD lipstick in Flashback on eBay since I used mine up. The lovely Gayle fixed this necklace that broke...& included a cute pair of earrings. Running errands...picking up some frames, prescriptions...
& getting a haircut...with Girl Scout cookies. I found these retro heels on Poshmark, but they are way too small...I'm not sure I can stretch them, but I guess I'll try. Wisconsin Film Fest opening night! It was a gorgeous weekend...sunny & high 70s. They had just put out the chairs at Memorial Union the day before...it was jam packed. 
Kate & Jason had said they didn't think we'd get a seat...but I was confident we would...it was WAY busier than I imagined...it was a Thursday...I thought we'd be fine. We were about to set up on the steps when a lone guy with an empty beer offered his table to us. I had made us a picnic...2 recipes from Smitten Kitchen Every Day...Mango Apple Ceviche with Sunflowers & Sushi Takeout Cobb Salad (tofu for them, chicken for us)...yum...our first outdoor meal of the year. In April.  
Jason joined us for dinner since he works on campus...then David, Kate, & I went to see the first movie...Luxembourg, Luxembourg. I was the first person they let in (David was taking the cooler back to the car & Kate was in the bathroom)...I never made it to the very long line...I thought the woman just liked me & my dress, but Kate said she probably assumed I had been at the pre-show reception...it often works in my favor that I like to dress up. 
Cute Anthropologie shoes that I bought with the intention of painting the tan part. I also wore this dress to fly home from my week in Mexico...I thought it would be a good choice as it was flowy. My room this time had a view, room 522...I LOVED it. 
I missed Mama Galvez meals...& the pineapple from the breakfast buffet...why is it so good?! Many girls complain about the noise from nearby clubs & suggest bringing ear plugs...I couldn't hear a thing last time...but I was facing the two clubs this round...& I found it soothing, so I'm going to request a similar room in October. 
Painting my toe nails & people watching. I spent a lot of time on the bed I wasn't sleeping in because it was next to the window in the sun. 
Not much to take photos of other than my food. David sent me photos of the trees blooming back home. Angie tagged me in this Instagram post...I still haven't tried this with my salmon. 
David's burger & sweet potato fries from Alchemy...I was full of envy...we hadn't been there since 2019. I had tickets to see Loudon Wainwright III at Stoughton Opera House...but since I couldn't be there...I streamed it...one really good thing to come out of the pandemic. I ate a whole box of Thin Mints during the show. 
Both Kate & David sent me photos of the film fest cake trailer on the last day...awwww. Our apple tree is budding. 
The swelling after surgery is outrageous...even with compression garments on. 
Dr. Galvez came to my room for my pre-op appointment...I was intending on wearing the dress in my outfit photos to go to his office...but it was a surprise...I told him...I'm not even dressed & he replied that I was wearing more than most patients. He told me his hand still hurt from doing lipo on me...he removed ~15 pounds, the most he's ever done...he said he had to take a break 1/2 way through to have a protein bar & some water. 
Hanging out on my windowsill looking gruesome. Basically I ate, read, & watched tv. I plowed through season 3 of Sex Education; American Horror Story: New York 1981; the Netflix documentary on David Bowie, Moonage Daydream, & another documentary...All the Beauty & the Bloodshed. 
I was feeling weepy & asked Kate what happy music I could listen to...they immediately replied, DISCO & they were so right! The sun also did wonders for my mood...I wish I could have walked around outside...but at least I had this. On my final night, I decided to order food from a nearby restaurant, Cabana...it had gotten good reviews & sounded delicious. 
I got WAY too much food...Chinchulines de Pulao (fried octopus), Camaron Roca (tempura shrimp with Asian dipping sauce), Quesitos de Cabana (shrimp, cheese, avocado, mayo taco), & Dolce de Leche Volcano. It came with many condiments...which is always exciting. So the first thing I did was pour some sour cream on the taco. After my first bite, I think...this is kind of sweet. I taste the white stuff on its own...vanilla ice cream to go with the dessert. It had gotten a bit melty in the box with all the hot stuff. The tempura shrimp was the best part...I didn't eat very much of the rest. Next time I'll try somewhere else. Dr. Galvez posted a photo of the bag of stuff I brought him from Wisconsin (along with a box of See's Candy someone else had gave him). A daily progress photo from David of our backyard trees. 
Check out that swelling...everything felt so tight & uncomfortable. 
My favorite nurse, Josefina, walked me out to my driver. Her English is not the best & I wished I had kept up with my high school Spanish. She kept telling me...you come back & face...she pulled down her mask & I thought she was telling me she had her face lifted...but I think she was letting me know that she thought I should come back for a facelift (or maybe both?)...I should have asked my driver...but I thought it was hilarious. My driver was a drummer named Oliver & we had a nice conversation on our drive to San Diego. My luggage got marked priority since I was flying first class. 
Front row...soooo much leg room...it was luxurious. Also, not necessary this time as I wasn't in pain like my first trip. I had declined the wheelchair service I requested...big mistake...5 minutes in I was nearly in tears...my short walks around the hotel room had not prepared me for this. While people were still boarding...they offered me warm nuts & champagne or water...& later, lunch. First class is nice, but the food is terrible...the bread & blondie were decent. 
The mountains are so beautiful from above. In Denver...I definitely got wheelchair service...so grateful as it was a really long walk that included a train. Dinner & the clouds at sunset. 
It's the (blurry) capitol! And Super Boo! I'm home! And what's this?! David was wheeling me around while we waited for the luggage & we spotted this pay phone. Back at home...David surprised me by putting my painting of Lake Superior in the antique frame we found that I had spruced up...a perfect homecoming. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment