Sunday, May 7, 2023

Easter // Film Fest // Traveling to Mexico

Dress: Golden Hour Maxi Dress by Free People (size S) via Nuuly
Sandals: Born
Earrings: Kerala Rose
Necklace & Bracelet: Vintage
Stats: 5'7" 38-32-42
I can't believe my first reaction to this in person was...oh, it's kind of boring. Wrong! This creamsicle dress was a dream to wear...this peachy color looked amazing on me, the fit was spectacular with the smocked waist, & I adored the drama of the poof sleeves. This cotton dress is ideal for summer...& it was impossible not to feel beautiful wearing it. There are useful pockets & this maxi was the perfect length on me to wear flats with. Sexy neckline...flouncy feminine frock. 
I don't need to buy every dress I look good in. Right?
This necklace is competing a bit with the neckline...I should have chosen something that tapered into the v. 
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in Lucky & Torch, Mediteranee eyeshadow duo from Nars, Sugarpill Cosmetics lipstick in Clockwork, & OPI nail polish in Clubbing Til Sunrise. 
I first wore this dress for Easter brunch: mushroom edition at our house...Kate & Jason came over & I managed to make a mini-feast & not go as over the top as I tend to do. 
Kate was way more on point for this theme than I was...she wore a mushroom dress (we could have twinned), brought a lion's mane elixir & shiitake truffles. 
After eating, we played a new game, Ransom Notes (that we bought because Facebook kept advertising it to me)...I won. 
After Kate & Jason left...we took the doggies on a walk in the neighborhood on a lovely spring day.
We had tickets to see Sasha Velour in Chicago...so I planned a weekend around that...& made reservations for us to stay at Palmer House...which is a stunning old hotel that I've wanted to stay at forever. I also wore this ensemble for the second day of the Wisconsin Film Fest (out of order since Easter came first). David & I had lunch at Great Dane. My favorite film of this day was Leila's Brothers. 
They began with a whole cake...& each day a slice was missing. Kate & I saw a movie together, Blue Jean, & hung out a bit afterwards...where I killed my first mosquito of the year. 
The final time I wore this dress was to travel to Mexico. I flew Madison to Denver to San Diego. I brought along Anaïs Mitchell's Working on a Song to read...she goes through each song in the play & all the changes it went through on its way to Broadway. 
I also went through photos, deleting & editing them for this blog. I always pick a window seat...I love looking out at where we are & all the pretty cloud formations. 
Once I landed in San Diego...I collected my luggage & went outside to meet my driver, who took me to Mexico. I was there for my second round of plastic surgery with BC Plastics. After going through tests & check-in...I settled into my hospital room & ate some food. 
After dinner...Dr. Galvez visited me to talk & mark me up for my surgery the next morning. I was getting a thigh lift (part 1 of 2) & a breast lift (I had about a half cup of fat transferred into each boob from my thighs). That cross is where my nipple was being moved to! I could have had a lift when I was here the first time, but I thought I wanted implants...& have since changed my mind...I didn't want anything foreign in me & I think they look fake. David sent me this picture of what it looked like in Madison...snow in the spring after being in the 70s for film fest weekend. 
My thighs before & after. Inner thighs this time, outer next. Dr. Galvaz removed ~15 pounds of fat & skin...look what a mess my poor thighs were...they stopped moving 30 seconds after the rest of me & I had to wear leggings 2 sizes too big for my waist to the gym. 
The surgery went great & I'm so happy with the results. The pain was & has been minimal. The care & meals at the hospital were wonderful...I really liked this Good Morning tea they served. I did have a terrible experience that I didn't talk about anywhere else on social media...I brought (too much) cash with me to tip all the marvelous people in Mexico...which I locked in the safe in my room (the same as last time) during surgery. The next day when I was packing to go to the hotel, I opened the safe & discovered someone had taken a lot of money from me. I had it divided into 2 bags & they were noticeably lighter...so I counted it...also, money had been moved so it was more evenly distributed. I think the worst part of this is they thought I wouldn't notice. It's just money, right? At least my wedding ring was still there. However, it made me feel violated at a time when I was already feeling vulnerable. Michelle, from BC Plastics, came to my room & that was comforting. I don't blame them, but I was at that hospital because that is where they chose to work out of & it made me feel helpless. I tried very hard not to let this one thief rob me of the experience of doing something positive for my body...but it was difficult. 

 

1 comment: