Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Happy New Year

Dress: Fishtail Velvet Maxi Dress in Midnight by Scarlett & Jo (size 30 UK) 
Tights: Snag
Shoes: But another innocent tale...(B.A.I.T.) via ModCloth
Necklace & Bracelet: Vintage
Photography: Super Boo, Kate, & Me
Stats: 5'7" 55-50-70
My goal was to pick a dress to highlight this vintage Miriam Haskell necklace David bought me one Christmas. I last wore this fishtail dress 3 years ago, also for NYE. I stated back then that I felt sexy & luxurious in this dress...& that was true this year as well. Va-voom! 
I bought these blue velvet shoes on sale at ModCloth a few years ago. They were my first purchase of But another innocent tale...shoes (B.A.I.T.). How adorable is that name?! They make vegan vintage inspired shoes & have so many lovely styles. 

This amazing Miriam Haskell necklace has a water feature with stones & gold glitter floating in it...!!! It is spectacular & David picked it out himself. The seller was in Australia & also had a matching bracelet that someone had already bought...why would you split this set up?!? I wonder what fancy occasions this necklace has seen?
My make-up with this outfit included...Urban Decay eyeliner in LSD, Sugarpill eyeshadow in Goldilux, Lumiere eyeshadow by Mon Ennui Cosmetics, UD lipliner in 714, Kat von D lipstick in Santa Sangre, Red glitter from Pat McGrath, & Ruby Pumps nail polish by China Glaze. 
I sent David to Costco to buy 2 lobster tails for me to eat on New Year's Day (our anniversary)...& he came back with 19. They usually have a guy giving you what you want, however, because of Covid, everything was by the box. I'm not exactly unhappy about this turn of events. Perhaps by my birthday we can gather together again? I'm being overly hopeful. If not, I guess I will be forced to eat them all myself. David & I went downtown on NYE day to pick up our holiday meal & take my photo at the capitol. When we got home I had a video visit with my girlie...who remains adorable. David & Jason joined us for a bit. 
A toast to the end of this year & the beginning of a better one. Kate picked out a champagne for us from her cellar in our basement...the bottle of hers was prettier though. 
David again did a marvelous job of reheating & cooking our meal from L'Etoile...there were a few bites that were not mentioned on the menu & honestly, if I had to cook these meals we've been getting to-go...I would have been in tears as the directions always leave important information out. But, amazingly delicious. 
This yellowtail tartar was exquisite. 
Every bite was heavenly, but to my surprise, my favorite dish of the evening was the Beef Wellington. I would never order basic meat & potatoes at a fancy restaurant...or really, ever...but of course, Chef Tory made the best version possible. It had a high standard to live up to for David, who had fond memories of taking his high school girlfriend to a place in San Francisco that was known for this dish. He said it exceeded his memory. 
This 20 year cheddar was the perfect bite of cheese to end the savory portion of our meal. Dessert had so many competing flavors, but it all managed to work together...such a fun ending. We saved our mignardise for the next day as we were too full to eat even a few more bites. 
Between courses, while David was cooking, & after our feast...I watched Carsie Blanton playing live for NYE...she played for 4 hours...until midnight EST. New Year's Day is our anniversary...Kate very generously let us drink this special champagne...champagne two days in a row. I did not imagine this bottle could be better than the one we drank the night before...but it was. I am spoiled. 
David bought me some pretty jewelry for our anniversary...he knows my taste SO well, that I already owned the purple set (he's trading it in for something else). I got him...nothing. I felt terrible about it, but we hadn't discussed presents. I told him...being married to me is a gift...he laughed so hard he couldn't breathe. I told my friend Michael about it the next day & he replied, not all gifts are good...which David thought was the perfect retort...so now we say those lines back & forth to each other. My favorite part of my relationship with David is how much we laugh. 
Anniversary dinner...David made lobster tail for me & lamb for himself...delectable & decadent. We finished with our mignardise from L'Etoile & almond cake that Angie made. 
David shared his lamb bones with the delighted doggies. Rainbow Girls played a show with some friends on New Year's Day...& a bit of 90s alternative music that night...Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, Jane's Addiction, Ani DiFranco, & Nirvana is the music that makes me relive the 90s...although I know there was other music I listened to as well...hard to believe the 90s were over 20 years ago...& other things old people say. Happy 2021! 

 

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, and happy anniversary, Meshel! You look va-va-voom in that delectable blue velvet number!

    Oh, how lucky your husband is such a great chef! Mine can barely open a tin of mini ravioli, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila! I *am* lucky...David is a great cook, but so am I...so we get to eat a lot of delicious food.

      Delete